Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Importing animated GIF

I am looking to use an animated GIF to simulate molten steel in a diagram of a blast furnace. When I import the GIF into the page in Designer Pro X (either 3rd party or one I have made in Designer Pro X), each frame in the GIF gets put onto a separate layer and all layers (including those already in the page) are locked. This is not the behaviour I expected and when I preview the page only one frame is visible and the GIF is not animating.
    It seems straightforward from Xara Help to import the GIF and it should just work... What am I doing wrong??

Default Re: Importing animated GIF

you may need to import it into an animation document - it sounds like you are importing it into a print/web document

or alternatively, the other way round...

an animation document if you want to edit the gif

a normal document if you don't, but you cannot just import it as that will still just open it in the way you describe - you need to embed it to use it in a web page for eaxmple

EDIT - if you want to embed it, read through the xara help section entitled Placeholder Tab, specifically:

Replace with graphic file

Select this option if you want to insert a graphic or image into your website in place of the placeholder object (eg. a PNG, GIF or other web compatible image file). Use the Browse button to select the file.

The chosen file is automatically copied to the support folder for the current design, so that when you export your website the file will be included in the _htm_files folder along with all the generated images for your site. See the Document Handling chapter for information about support folders
    Last edited by handrawn; 29 January 2020 at 08:25 AM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi Handrawn,
    Thank you for this advice, which is correct. I needed to create a placeholder in my web document and then bring the animated GIF into the placeholder.
    I must say this is not obvious when I did a search on 'import GIF' in the help file. At places where it specifically talks about importing various file formats, there is no mention of having to create a placeholder first. It only becomes clear when you actually read the details for 'Placeholder', but who would know to go to this if they wanted to import an animated GIF!
    Anyway, thanks again

unfortunately the xara help often assumes some prior knowlege on the part of the user in order to know where to look ....

you need to know that 'importing', in this sense, means working on the file itself rather tha using it in the page

glad you got the issue clear
    Nothing lasts forever...

Info Re: Importing animated GIF

The manual also offers this:
    However there is an easier way to add files or code to your site. Simply drag and drop Flash or animated GIF files from Windows File Explorer onto your page. A placeholder image is automatically generated for you and is placed on your page. A copy of the file is added to the support folder of your design so that it gets exported and published with your site. When you export and publish your site, the placeholder image is replaced by the actual file you imported.
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I repeat what I said earlier about prior knowlege being required
    Nothing lasts forever...

Info Re: Importing animated GIF

Yes, but I only assume the prior knowledge that there is a manual or help file:
    Animated GIFs
    Add an animated GIF to your page just the same way as for Flash files. Import or drag and drop the GIF file onto your page. It gets copied to your design’s support folder and a static placeholder image is generated
    I do apologise, I do know how I work / think is not the same as most others.
    The Xara Desktop application is densely packed and I am always surprised about what is does and even what I know what is does.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I know a lot about what about 15% of it does, most of that connected to vectors not, as you know, web pages

what really lets the help down is it's inadequate search... imo
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I know a lot about what about 15% of it does, most of that connected to vectors not, as you know, web pages
    what really lets the help down is it's inadequate search... imo
    With XDPX, you get a PDF help manual and I use that to search for cross-related topics, using Full Reader Search.

I did also convert all CHM file back into HTML files so a MS Explorer Search does a similar task in a more roundabout manner.

Acorn

is the current PDF manual searchable? I have one somewhere, but rarely llok at it these days most of what i do in xara being so routine [for me]
    Nothing lasts forever...