Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Will we ever have master pages in my lifetime?

How would the master page work?

Quote Originally Posted by DanFelix View Post
    How would the master page work?
    Essentially you make a template for the page layout and can apply that to multiple pages, so they are all consistent.

Perhaps a bit like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZAXM6j7cCQ

And when you make a change to a master page all pages based on that master page update accordingly.

Gary, just a thought... Would repeat on all pages not work?

Gary, just a thought... Would repeat on all pages not work?
    That is what I have had to do and then delete whatever it is on the pages I don't want something to appear. But that is a chore. Delete. Then each time specify just this page.

The idea of master pages similar but the main objects only appear on certain pages. The technology is there.

Focus of Xara has been extensively on Fonts and adjustment feature of type so they really need to get the master page idea done or else why push for desktop features in the type department?

We had it 30 years ago. I think something got lost in translation when ported from RISCOS to Windows :-

http://www.apdl.org.uk/riscworld/vol...st20/index.htm

Master pages
    Computer Concepts describe Impression as a Document Processor. Each document consists of one or more Chapters. Each chapter consists of one or more pages, and each page of one or more frames. As suggested earlier, you can place frames exactly where you need them, and move them around at will. But the effects which you create will only be valid for the current page.

To allow for conformity from page to page. Impression uses the concept of Master Pages. At the beginning of each new chapter (the start of a single page memo still counts technically as a new chapter), you can select an appropriate master page. The simplest has a single A4 sized frame, another has a two-column format, while yet others allow four columns on an A4 page held horizontally (allowing it to be folded over to make an A5 pamphlet (similar to the format used by RISC User). And if none of these are suitable, you can design your own. Master pages can also be used to supply a consistent logo or .banner to a sequence of pages, and to supply page numbers and other headers and footers - any of which may be over-ridden on specific pages.