Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sad Day

Default Re: Sad Day

Addendum #73...

Please stop installing fonts with any/every Xara application. At least give users the choice to do so. I absolutely hate dealing with what is often duplicate fonts. I absolutely hate most of the fonts y'all want to install anyway.

Bottom line? Give users the option to install fonts.

Oh, heck. And as long as I am here, Addendum #91...

Please build the option to back up and restore user configurations.
    IP

Returning to the question of Photo & Graphic Designer vs Designer Pro:

@ handrawn - PGD does in fact have Scribble Select, sorry if this is not mentioned in the Release Notes but it was added in an Update Service update last year.

Also sorry if I caused confusion with my comment about multi-page documents. Yes PGD does support multiple pages but it does not have many of the text handling features that might be required for creating long flowing documents, which we don't think is or is likely to be a common use case for PGD. You can see these under DTP on http://www.xara.com/designer-pro/compare/. For that sort of document you'll need Page & Layout Designer or Designer Pro.

Pantone. Our Pantone license does not cover PGD and given the eye watering cost of it I don't think it's likely that we'll add it to PGD, given that usage amongst PGD owners as a whole would be quite low. Again if you need that then the option is Designer Pro.

So in summary, if you are only using Pro for illustration, animation or graphic design / photo work where you are not going to commercial print (if you require Pantone), then you might want to consider changing to PGD.

Kate Moir
    IP

Fact is Designer Pro is(/has been) the flagship program and suggesting vetern Pro users who have upgraded pro year in year out to switch to cut back versions of the software is a bit insulting. These people have been using the sofware for years and I suspect they know the features they need that are only available in pro. The increased upgrade pirce might have been a less bitter pill to swallow if not for witnessing the cloud version steamrolling over the desktop apps for the past year or two.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.
    IP

Question Re: Sad Day

Quote Originally Posted by xtom View Post
    ...witnessing the cloud version steamrolling over the desktop apps for the past year or two.
    @Kate, talking about Steam, can we have a clarification around the Steam Store.

Steam offer Xara Designer Pro X 15 Steam Edition for £69.50 (https://store.steampowered.com/app/7...Steam_Edition/).
    So I could buy this and despite its renewal and update limitations, buy it next year and continue, at a far cheaper price than your Update Service.
    What I find bemusing is it is "owned" by Magix:
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP

@ handrawn - PGD does in fact have Scribble Select, sorry if this is not mentioned in the Release Notes but it was added in an Update Service update last year.
    thanks kate - according to the compare page it does not

edit - just checked and now it does
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by xtom View Post
    Fact is Designer Pro is(/has been) the flagship program and suggesting vetern Pro users who have upgraded pro year in year out to switch to cut back versions of the software is a bit insulting. These people have been using the sofware for years and I suspect they know the features they need that are only available in pro. The increased upgrade pirce might have been a less bitter pill to swallow if not for witnessing the cloud version steamrolling over the desktop apps for the past year or two.
    Totally agree.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone
    IP

Hi Rik, xtom - the suggestion came from Mike #19, and is prompted by the fact that we've migrated some features from Pro to PGD, so owners have an valid reason to reconsider what's right for them. Of course we would be very happy to see you stick with Designer Pro!

@ Acorn, I don't know very much about the Steam version I'm afraid, but I can ask Magix. What was the question?

Kate Moir
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
    @ Acorn, I don't know very much about the Steam version I'm afraid, but I can ask Magix. What was the question? Kate Moir
    Kate, the question is Steam users get XDPX15 at a vastly cheaper price than we do through the Update Service. Why are these prices not favourably adjusted as I believe the Steam fee for moderate sales is as much as 30%? Loyalty to Xara is squandered if Magix pockets its cut before any gets to Xara through the Update Service and Magix gets it all, seemingly, through Steam sales. The second question is how is XDPX claimed to be marketed as developed and published by Magix. Where is Xara in all this?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Where is Xara in all this?
    On 30 January 2007, Xara was acquired by German company MAGIX, and now operates as a wholly owned subsidiary.

Magix = Xara. Xara = Magix

Magix does get it all and has done for the last ten years.
    IP

indeed...

perhaps someone will confirm that the newly created Xara GmbH is a wholly owned subsidiary of Magix [or not] .... ?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP