Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Repel stopped working?????

Quote Originally Posted by ruffino View Post
    ... I checked that and layers are correct ...
    Have you tried putting text and repelling object on the same layer? "In front of" doesn't refer to layers in this instance
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

"In front of" doesn't refer to layers in this instance
    John, an image with repelling attributes will repel text on another layer so long as the repelling object is in a layer 'above' (aka: in front of) the layer with the text.
    Attached Files Attached Files

You're right Steve, I meant to insert the word ' necessarily ' between 'doesn't ' & 'refer' - should have proof-read It always seems to work on the same layer
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Yes it works on the same layer best (so long as the repelling object is on top (to front)), I just wanted to make sure that it was noted that it can *also* work when the text and repelling object are on different layers.

I'm having a similar problem with the repel tool in Xtreme 5. It just suddenly stopped working in my current project. It displays fine in Xara, but when I preview the website or export it to html it no longer works properly. The strange thing is that it still works if I only have text to the right of the repelling object, but as soon as any text is repelled to the left it goes all wonky.

I've been messing about with layers to make sure they are in the right order and I've got both text and object in the same layer. It's sadly starting to feel like a bug, which is really annoying.

Anyone have any ideas on workarounds? Help would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to TG Nalgren,

As is often asked when we hear reports such as yours, Please attach the file that exhibits the problem you describe.
    Frequently asked questions are usually answered quickly, but many problems are sorted out quicker if we have your file to inspect.

Thanks.

I've copied out a single page from my website project so you can see what's going on. For some reason one of the repelling objects has started to work again, but with a much too large margin.

You'll have to live with the text of the page being in Swedish, I'm making it for a Swedish re-enactment/LARP event.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hello Nahlgren,

The attached image shows how your file looks when loaded in XXP5 on my system.

You do realize that the AutoREALM Blackletter font will not display correctly on other peoples web browser unless they also have the font installed?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	repel-question.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	71562  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Bill,
    Repel appears to look OK while working in the program, but in WD6 preview it doesn't (see attached). Also looks wrong in XX5. Text repels OK on the right side, see second attachment. Adding a new text box with generic text the repel works OK, so I'm assuming the problem lies with the text itself. If I change the Aspect Ratio to 100% it repels almost OK (last photo).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture047.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	71563   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture048.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	71564  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture050.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	71566   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture051.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	71567  

Last edited by jimhanus; 20 April 2010 at 06:50 PM.

jimhanus: The aspect ratio does appear to make it a lot better, that would have been tricky to find on my own, thanks!

Soquili: I'm aware of the problems of using non-standard fonts, it's why I've converted all of the menus to editable shapes so that Xara will make images out of them. It may mean that the page will be a bit slower to load, but with the small size of the images it'll hopefully not be too noticeable. And it allows me to keep the general theme of the page. I'm going to check it on a computer without that font before publishing it, just to make sure that I haven't missed it anywhere.

It's a shame that Xara wont reuse identical images across several pages, such as the menu or the header image. It gets a bit silly when a multipage website uses the same image but different files for each page.

Again: many thanks for taking the time to look into my problems. Now back to working on the rest of the site!

/Niklas