Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Full width header image cycle on refresh

Does anyone know how to make a "full width stretchy image" cycle between 3 or 4 images on page refresh? The site is here: AC GENERAL CONTRACTING

Default Re: Full width header image cycle on refresh

I don't but I bet one of the members will have a script you can use. FWIW I refreshed the link you posted and nothing changes. I am using Firefox. This might be different with Chrome. I just looked with Edge and same. No change. Same with Brave which I think may be a Chrome offshoot.

Info Re: Full width header image cycle on refresh

Quote Originally Posted by edmiston99 View Post
    Does anyone know how to make a "full width stretchy image" cycle between 3 or 4 images on page refresh? The site is here: AC GENERAL CONTRACTING
    Your ask is confusing, What is page refresh need for? Are you after a toggle between 3 and 4 images or is this just your limit?

Here is something that I hope is what you are after: CSS-JS - Smple Carousel - Stretchy Width.xar.

Each image has a special Name. of htmlclass="illy"
    Each image is scale-stretched central full width.
    The Placeholder must be somewhere in the Page background.
    It is set for a second Fade In, 8 second display and a second Fade Out; if you want different values, the code is in the Placeholder body and the timings are in milliseconds.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I don't but I bet one of the members will have a script you can use. FWIW I refreshed the link you posted and nothing changes. I am using Firefox. This might be different with Chrome. I just looked with Edge and same. No change. Same with Brave which I think may be a Chrome offshoot.
    Yeah, the one I have now doesn't change on refresh. It won't until I find a method that will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Your ask is confusing, What is page refresh need for? Are you after a toggle between 3 and 4 images or is this just your limit?

Here is something that I hope is what you are after: CSS-JS - Smple Carousel - Stretchy Width.xar.

Each image has a special Name. of htmlclass="illy"
    Each image is scale-stretched central full width.
    The Placeholder must be somewhere in the Page background.
    It is set for a second Fade In, 8 second display and a second Fade Out; if you want different values, the code is in the Placeholder body and the timings are in milliseconds.

Acorn
    Essentially, I want a different header picture on the home page with every page view regardless of if it's a subsequent visit, or if visitors are perusing the site, and end up back on the home page. A different picture than the last time they were there, or at least likely different. Occasionally different?

A carousel that starts with a random picture rather than sequential would give the effect you're looking for. I'm pretty sure some commercial slider software do it, Amazing Slider, Hi Slider and CoffeeCup spring to mind but it's been a few years since I was playing with them.

Essentially, I want a different header picture on the home page with every page view regardless of if it's a subsequent visit, or if visitors are perusing the site, and end up back on the home page. A different picture than the last time they were there, or at least likely different. Occasionally different?
    Here is a simple approach.

I have added a random element to my Simple Carousel Widget.
    1. You you need to do is place the Widget on the page.
    2. Place a number of images, shapes or text on the page and add a special Name of htmlclass="illy" to them.
    3. If you are after a full width carousel, then add stretch to the images. Shapes work too, as in my demo, you could stretch the characters, noting them are Shapes not Text as text will not stretch.

Each visit to the holding page returns a random image. If you are "unlucky", it could be the same image several times but for 3 to 4 images this is quite likely.

After the image is shown for 8 seconds, another is picked and so you get a random carousel.
    If you only every want one image, increase the 8 seconds to a stupidly large number: 300000 milliseconds (five minutes).

JS - Random Carousel.xar.

Placeholder HTML Body (code):
    Code:
    <script>
    $(document).ready(function(){

(function fade(idx) {
      var $illy = $('.illy');
      $illy.hide();
      idx = Math.floor(Math.random() * $illy.length);
      $illy.eq(idx).fadeIn(1000).delay(8000).fadeOut(1000, function () {
        fade(idx + 1 < $illy.length ? idx + 1 : 0);
      });
    }(0));

});

</script>
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Here is a simple approach.

I have added a random element to my Simple Carousel Widget.
    1. You you need to do is place the Widget on the page.
    2. Place a number of images, shapes or text on the page and add a special Name of htmlclass="illy" to them.
    3. If you are after a full width carousel, then add stretch to the images. Shapes work too, as in my demo, you could stretch the characters, noting them are Shapes not Text as text will not stretch.

Each visit to the holding page returns a random image. If you are "unlucky", it could be the same image several times but for 3 to 4 images this is quite likely.

After the image is shown for 8 seconds, another is picked and so you get a random carousel.
    If you only every want one image, increase the 8 seconds to a stupidly large number: 300000 milliseconds (five minutes).

JS - Random Carousel.xar.

Placeholder HTML Body (code):
    Code:
    <script>
    $(document).ready(function(){

(function fade(idx) {
      var $illy = $('.illy');
      $illy.hide();
      idx = Math.floor(Math.random() * $illy.length);
      $illy.eq(idx).fadeIn(1000).delay(8000).fadeOut(1000, function () {
        fade(idx + 1 < $illy.length ? idx + 1 : 0);
      });
    }(0));

});

</script>
    I think this on just might do it. I assume you just stack the images on top of each other?

I think this on just might do it. I assume you just stack the images on top of each other?
    As you are stretching them, ideally all that is needed is they are the same height and aligned vertically.
    If you apply Full Width & Scaled to my example file, you will get giant letter fragments but each is now fully stretched the width of the browser. It is clearer with images but I considered the file size of the example should be kept small.

Acorn

I used them for a client but now I wonder if websites created in 2020 will need header sliders. They just slow down the site to me. A nice picture will do the job.