Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Mobile nav not opening to see addition items listed

Mobile nav again...sorry! I had to totally create a new one.

I can't get it to open so you can see the related items after the first item..I've moved the nav bar to the right, to the left..etc. I've changed a few settings, but it does not open right on my Iphone regardless of what I pick. Looks fine on the computer screen when I close it down as small as I can.

Can someone tell me if there are settings to use so that it opens right...gesh! Any suggestions...I'm so frustrated.
    I've worked on it for 2 days!
    MOBILE ONLY...

https://www.bodaciousbeardies.com

Default Re: Mobile nav not opening to see addition items listed

Sue, sorry you are having problems.

I have never liked the Xara NavBar so you might consider a different approach.
    As your menu is so deep, wide and extensive (c.f., Archie), I would instead develop a mega-menu.

This can either be a separate layer or a new page that handles both Main and Variant.
    You then layout your Links as you see fit. All are visible so there is no need for sub-menus and you can have different layouts (lineage), images and thumbnails.
    Using a Page approach, you would need a Back Link; javascript:history.back(); should work.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn, thanks for the suggestion. Now I need help or directions on how to make a mega-menu. And I could make the last section with Archie, one long page, if I have too. updated: I am going to combine those pages...I like that better anyways, so thanks for bringing that to light for me.

I need to see what you are talking about visually and need direction on how to do it, if you don't mind. A site to help me with seeing what it looks like, a file or what not...please. I'm a visual learner.

I have no idea what you are talking about with the "back link" etc.

Wue

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Sue, sorry you are having problems.

I have never liked the Xara NavBar so you might consider a different approach.
    As your menu is so deep, wide and extensive (c.f., Archie), I would instead develop a mega-menu.

This can either be a separate layer or a new page that handles both Main and Variant.
    You then layout your Links as you see fit. All are visible so there is no need for sub-menus and you can have different layouts (lineage), images and thumbnails.
    Using a Page approach, you would need a Back Link; javascript:history.back(); should work.

Acorn
    Last edited by SueB; 20 March 2023 at 05:01 PM. Reason: adding update to suggestion

Sue, here is a demo file: MegaMenu.xar.

There is nothing rocket science or complex in the design, or pretty for that matter.

If you are on any site page and click More.., you are taken to the mega menu.
    The More.. is replaced with the Back Link.

I included your Anchors on the Home page as well as a Top of Page as I made the top menu bar Sticky.
    No sub-menus, just a page of mess to play with.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn, I opened it...and I think it's beyond me and my knowledge to understand. Thanks for trying...I'm just not that smart!
    Sue, here is a demo file: MegaMenu.xar.

There is nothing rocket science or complex in the design, or pretty for that matter.

If you are on any site page and click More.., you are taken to the mega menu.
    The More.. is replaced with the Back Link.

I included your Anchors on the Home page as well as a Top of Page as I made the top menu bar Sticky.
    No sub-menus, just a page of mess to play with.

Acorn

Sue, just think of it as a Pop-up Layer but instead of having the Layer on every page, you have created a separate menu page instead.

Acorn

Thanks so much, Acorn. I don't think I've ever done a pop up layer...again, need instructions to be able to "get" how to do it.
    Sue, just think of it as a Pop-up Layer but instead of having the Layer on every page, you have created a separate menu page instead.

Acorn

Sue, I have looked at your menu from my Smartphone.

There are a number of issues that, when addressed, might get you working.

First off, drag the Hamburger off the page so it is closer to the top of the page and wholly on the Pasteboard.
    This might address the problem when viewing in Landscape as the menu is cut off half-way down.

The next problem is, I believe that you still have links or the menu items that should be opening further sub-menus.
    This is why you get a fail with OUR BEARDIES > Emerald...

The menu is too deep and too tall.
    About Us and Contact Us need not be in the Hamburger as they are Anchors on the Home page.
    Factor them out and add them as Repeating Text Links at the page footer.
    Just have Dog Shows and on each page have a Text Link to the other page.
    Change the CAPITALS for (ALL) OUR BEARDIES. This will make the menu lists narrower such that you will just about squeeze in the third level sub-menus.

You could also reduce the gap between link items.

Acorn

Hi Acorn, how kind of you to have a look-see at the nav. I kept working on it. I am stubborn.
    I actually have it working now on my phone, no issues that I can see.

I put About Us and Contact us in the menu in case no one scrolled down or used the links...you know how some people are, they mostly use the nav bars.
    I have not tried the landscape view in a while, but when I did, on my phone at least, it went to the computer version which works okay, from what I can see.
    I did eliminate all the sibling names to just "siblings" and almost thought of taking them out but to dog people, they may want to see other famous dogs. LOL

Do you have an Iphone or Android? Mine is not a large iPhone but it seems fine. I will review some of what you are seeing and see if I see what you see. Thanks again!
    And I did try researching setting up a layer pop up but I think I'm not ready.

Edited: I can see by the time it gets to the 3rd drop out, it's an issue...sigh!

Sue, I have looked at your menu from my Smartphone.

There are a number of issues that, when addressed, might get you working.

First off, drag the Hamburger off the page so it is closer to the top of the page and wholly on the Pasteboard.
    This might address the problem when viewing in Landscape as the menu is cut off half-way down.

The next problem is, I believe that you still have links or the menu items that should be opening further sub-menus.
    This is why you get a fail with OUR BEARDIES > Emerald...

The menu is too deep and too tall.
    About Us and Contact Us need not be in the Hamburger as they are Anchors on the Home page.
    Factor them out and add them as Repeating Text Links at the page footer.
    Just have Dog Shows and on each page have a Text Link to the other page.
    Change the CAPITALS for (ALL) OUR BEARDIES. This will make the menu lists narrower such that you will just about squeeze in the third level sub-menus.

You could also reduce the gap between link items.

Acorn
    Last edited by SueB; 21 March 2023 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SueB View Post
    Hi Acorn, how kind of you to have a look-see at the nav. I kept working on it. I am stubborn.
    I actually have it working now on my phone, no issues that I can see.

I put About Us and Contact us in the menu in case no one scrolled down or used the links...you know how some people are, they mostly use the nav bars.
    I have not tried the landscape view in a while, but when I did, on my phone at least, it went to the computer version which works okay, from what I can see.
    I did eliminate all the sibling names to just "siblings" and almost thought of taking them out but to dog people, they may want to see other famous dogs. LOL

Do you have an Iphone or Android? Mine is not a large iPhone but it seems fine. I will review some of what you are seeing and see if I see what you see. Thanks again!
    And I did try researching setting up a layer pop up but I think I'm not ready.

Edited: I can see by the time it gets to the 3rd drop out, it's an issue...sigh!
    I looked at the site on my Android mobile and I can see (as Acorn said) that you still have some level 2 links (e.g. Emerald points emerald.htm) - these links need to be removed and added to your third levels links - best illustrated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara Navbar Mobile Intermediary Links.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	153.4 KB 
ID:	133508

I changed a previous demo so you can see the outcome > https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/xara-mobile/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20230323-082542.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	133507
    Gary
    www.initiostar.co.uk

Xara Designer Pro+ and Xara Designer Pro X 19.0.1.65946 DL x64 Feb 7 2023