Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Auto Refresh IFRAME (external data source) with Javascript

I am working on a project that can display live data (from Google via a Google Sheet). The iframe correctly refreshes the data when you first load the web page. I would like however to auto-refresh the iframe (not the page) using a time function around 5s.

It appears there are a myriad of different javascript solutions to fix this, but I would welcome any input that keeps it simple.

Thanks Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Live Indices.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	124601  

Default Re: Auto Refresh IFRAME (external data source) with Javascript

Hi Gary, are you publishing your Google Sheet as a webpage? If you do I find that although any edits aren't instant they update within a few seconds. Is this what you're after?
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks Egg,

My Google Sheet updates correctly through the GOOGLEFINANCE api, but right now the web published and embedded versions https://livedata.initiostar.co.uk appear to update only on a browser refresh; not sure why but will sort it out

Gary

Interesting. Is your Google sheet getting it's data from other sources?
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Data is sourced using the Google function (GOOGLEFINANCE); spreadsheet works, the public version updates correctly and will display in a browser, but you have to refresh the browser to see any changes (seems strange but apparently true) e.g. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...mIABKu/pubhtml.

A simple workaround is a refresh button on the web page: https://livedata.initiostar.co.uk. I believe you could have a script added to the iframe to auto refresh a call to the url. I tried <head> <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="10s";> </head> to refresh the page and it works in Xara preview, but not when published (other than in IE). Maybe this is not allowed?

However, this is not really a Xara issue and I've parked it unless anyone has resolved this type of issue before. The refresh button works

Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    Data is sourced using the Google function (GOOGLEFINANCE); spreadsheet works, the public version updates correctly and will display in a browser, but you have to refresh the browser to see any changes (seems strange but apparently true) e.g. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...mIABKu/pubhtml.
    A simple workaround is a refresh button on the web page: https://livedata.initiostar.co.uk. I believe you could have a script added to the iframe to auto refresh a call to the url. I tried <head> <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="10s";> </head> to refresh the page and it works in Xara preview, but not when published (other than in IE). Maybe this is not allowed?
    However, this is not really a Xara issue and I've parked it unless anyone has resolved this type of issue before. The refresh button works
    It will be a cross-domain issue, which browsers block.

A possible way around is to use a button on the page to load in the URL into the IFRAME.
    You would then need a repeating timer to "click" the same button.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn!
    Thanks for the work-around, but don't you think your explanation is a little to abstract to a none-coder?

Thank you to both Acorn & Siran; my coding knowledge is very rusty, dating back to the 70's! I am though trying to grasp some more up-to-date skills from examples at W3 Schools.

I understand Acorn's suggestion, so I will test these rather rusty skills next week. I would thank Acorn from another post to use an editor rather than just type into Xara's placeholder (welcome Notepad ++); easier than re-ordering a deck of punched paper cards Any suggested code always welcome.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by siran View Post
    Hi Acorn!
    Thanks for the work-around, but don't you think your explanation is a little to abstract to a none-coder?
    siran, I hadn't got to a coding place, just the concept.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    Teasier than re-ordering a deck of punched paper cards
    I remember doing that more than once for an ICL1906 at uni!

Acorn