Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: webp Problem

Default webp Problem

Hi,

i'm just working on a site containing some light gradients (see attachments). The don't look good in webp (there's some banding). The rest of the site looks good though.

I cannot find a way to tell xara not to use webp for selected images. Am i missing something?

thank you,

FLyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	webp.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	129512Click image for larger version. 

Name:	png.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	129513

Info Re: webp Problem

Quote Originally Posted by FLySOLO View Post
    Hi,
    i'm just working on a site containing some light gradients (see attachments). The don't look good in webp (there's some banding). The rest of the site looks good though.
    I cannot find a way to tell xara not to use webp for selected images. Am i missing something?
    thank you,
    FLyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	webp.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	129512Click image for larger version. 

Name:	png.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	129513
    FLy, no, you have not. Xara has used its usual sledge-hammer approach - all or nothing.
    The override would be sensibly settable in Image > Web image type so perhaps Xara will spark one day.

In the meantime, this is one of the approaches I have used: Placeholder - Force PNG for specific Named Images.xar

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: webp Problem

The light gradients shouldn't need to be exported as an image at all Fly. Browsers should render these as vector rectangles with a gradient.

Can you attach your .xar file?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    The light gradients shouldn't need to be exported as an image at all Fly. Browsers should render these as vector rectangles with a gradient.

Can you attach your .xar file?
    Hey Egg,

you're right. The gradients were transparencies so this can be fixed in this case. Just tried it. But if i need subtle transparencies in other places they have the same problems of possible compression artefacs.

There shoul be a way to decide which format should be used for output.

Dear Acorn, your workaround works . But it would of course cooler to be able to steer this in xara.

bb,

FLy

Info Re: webp Problem

This is my jQuery approach to force named objects to render as PNGs when WebP is enforced: jQ - Force PNG.xar

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    This is my jQuery approach to force named objects to render as PNGs when WebP is enforced: jQ - Force PNG.xar

Acorn

Hey Acorn,

that's an elegant solution. Very good and easy to use.

Thank you.

FLy