Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
This is my feedback on updating to v15 of Xara Web Designer (Premium):

• Do not deactivate or uninstall v12; the one you have been using up to this update.
    • This of it as a get out of jail free card should v15 fail or have unexpected bugs.
    • You can keep both and run both at the same time.

• Check if your v12 is 32-bit or 64-bit by opening v12 and checking the Help > About if it says x32 or x64.
  • Search out your licence number (P3-six groups of 5 digits) now - it will be in your purchase email or possibly as sticker on the back of the DVD that you may have purchased.
    • I tried logging into Xara for a list of my bought Xara products and licences - this is now all handled by MAGIX and all are gone.

• Use this download link: http://www.xara.com/web-designer/download/ and choose x32/x64 for WD/WD Premium.

• You get a MAGIX Installer, which you then run to download your upgrade.
    • MAGIX will prompt you to further download their PC tuning application - I know of no reason to do this so decline.

• There is a percentage progress bar and the download appears to stop at 50%. The download has occurred and is waiting for you to click to continue. This option might be hidden behind other screens.
    • I advise close everything other than your browser.
    • Close any other Xara applications.
    • Watch out for a flashing icon on the taskbar.
    • Many install problems arise from the update being unable to replace library files that are in use (a common MS Windows problem) so a reboot is often advised.

• If all works, you have a Desktop icon that will ask you to register with purchase email address and licence number.
    • Mine remembered the email from my v12 installation.

• You should now have a working application - with no templates or design.
  • Open a new web page.
  • Pin the Local Designs gallery.
    • Right-click (Components, Websites, Social Media, Presentations) in turn and select Download All.
      • The Websites download will take the longest.
        • Files will start to appear in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Xara\WebDesignerPremium\15\Cache\de signs\eng
        • I advise burning the Cache folder and contents to a DVD.
        • Total size is 2.38GB.

• Next, go to Help > Download content installer.
    • "The content installer adds additional content that is not included in the free trial. That includes additional fill styles for the Fill Gallery and more spell checking dictionaries for other languages. It does not include any content for the Content Catalog / Designs Gallery - this is downloaded instantly on demand, but it does install into Windows fonts that are used by that content."
    • Another MAGIX Installer.
    • I would leave the Installation files on your PC.
    • The Content Pack download is 46MB.

• Re-open Xara Web Designer (Premium).

You are good to go.
I could be wrong on this, but to keep your version 12 you need to select a custom directory when installing or it will overwrite the existing version.