Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

RAMWolff asked how I achieved the distressed metal effect in my post Rusty Wallpaper Challenge and I said there were so many steps I could not remember what I had done.

This got me to thinking how the effect of old carroded, tarnished copper effect could be more easily achieved. Here is what I came up with in 4 (I hope easy) steps.

1. Create your shapes, bevels, etc. and give them a 2-color, Fade, Fractal Fill.

2. Create a duplicate of the background shape (in this case a square) and apply a Coarse Grain 17 fill from the Marble Fills in the Fill Gallery (the fills are in the Xara X CD).

3. Select the Coarse Grain filled shape, and locate and click the Coarse Grain 18 in the Fill Gallery. Now press Transp to apply the Coarse Grain 18 fill as a transparency to the square.

4. Change the Transparency Type to Stained Glass.

Et Voilla! Easy?

Here's were the experimenting comes in. Make additional copies of the Stained Glass transparent shape and expreiment with different Transparency Types.

In my last example, I made another duplicate of the stained glass transparency which made all the colors deeper, then made a duplicate and applied a Saturation transparency type which made all the colors more saturated.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<A HREF="http://www.gwpriester.com" TARGET=_blank>
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	speckled_finish.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	5747  

RAMWolff asked how I achieved the distressed metal effect in my post Rusty Wallpaper Challenge and I said there were so many steps I could not remember what I had done.

This got me to thinking how the effect of old carroded, tarnished copper effect could be more easily achieved. Here is what I came up with in 4 (I hope easy) steps.

1. Create your shapes, bevels, etc. and give them a 2-color, Fade, Fractal Fill.

2. Create a duplicate of the background shape (in this case a square) and apply a Coarse Grain 17 fill from the Marble Fills in the Fill Gallery (the fills are in the Xara X CD).

3. Select the Coarse Grain filled shape, and locate and click the Coarse Grain 18 in the Fill Gallery. Now press Transp to apply the Coarse Grain 18 fill as a transparency to the square.

4. Change the Transparency Type to Stained Glass.

Et Voilla! Easy?

Here's were the experimenting comes in. Make additional copies of the Stained Glass transparent shape and expreiment with different Transparency Types.

In my last example, I made another duplicate of the stained glass transparency which made all the colors deeper, then made a duplicate and applied a Saturation transparency type which made all the colors more saturated.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

That approach will come in handy.

Your copper and the rusty iron examples have been great. They've had me thinking about what a great drawing you could do if you included your "crackle glaze" technique as a peeling paint component. It might not look so good for a tiling image but it sure would look great as an illustration. The look of decay!

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

I've still got a few hours before the Super Bowl. Let's see what I can come up with (or to be gramatically correct, let's see with what I can come up).

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

1. <LI>Sentences must not end in prepositions.<LI>Split infinitives are wrong.

Some say both myths were invented by stuffy grammarians who couldn't see why English should be allowed constructions that weren't permissible in Latin.

Churchill is reputed to have replied to a sentence that clumsily avoided a prepositional ending with 'This is the sort of English up with which I will not put.' To which I can only add the suggestion that we all confidently use the perfectly good grammar that too many are frightened of! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

Something like this, Ross?

If anybody else reads this post Click Here to keep the XaraXone from falling below the top 5 sites on the GraphicsNews site.

(Peter snuck in with his comments. ROTFL)

Thanks.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	peeling_paint.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	3339  

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If anybody else reads this post Click Here to keep the XaraXone from falling below the top 5 sites on the GraphicsNews site.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Done!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>(Peter snuck in with his comments. ROTFL)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would have been even funnier if I'd taken the care to get it right. Like 'our mission should be to confidently use the perfectly good grammar that too many are frightened of!'

Enjoy the big game! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

Thank you so much.

Of course I've just submitted my Rusted Eye Wall.

Wish I would have had this bit of info to play with. Ah well, another project is swirling around in my twisted little mind.

Thanks so much, truly.

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

As it is a finished image and not a how to, or anything, I posted another chipping crackled paint image in the Xara Gallery Conference.

Click Here to be magically transported.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone