Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Converting XBuilder Web Blocks into Xara Web Blocks

Thanks for the original post @acorn. I haven’t been using WBs exclusively, but since I’m a little layout challenged from time to time, I’ve been using them to clean up pics with text to the right or left. Also I’ve used their contact functions because I like their designs. There’s a map designed from a full width that I like.

Usually I’ll drag a web block onto a clean page. Edit and Add my pics and text. Then I’ll ungroup and set everything up to my desired width. Adjust a few things, then soft group, copy, and bring it all into my existing site. I’ve found it cleans things up a little bit when a site has become a little unruly. I also like the font selections that are used.

I am considering using WBs for a country music guy that has a site which is doesn’t require a lot of changes. For my other sites WBs is a little too simple.

Finally I do like a functioning hamburger menu. I realize I can construct my own with layers but it’s a bit time consuming.

I think I’m going to purchase xbuilder. I do like what Michals doing and want to support him.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    For my other sites WBs is a little too simple.
    Sadly, I find this statement telling.

Web Blocks cannot exist on Layers other than MouseOff.
    You are effectively in a 'Freeform' design adding objects without much in the way of control.

Even the simple task of creating a roll-over into the MouseOver layer beats the traditional Clone and move to MOv layer.
    You can do it with Copy, select the MOv layer and Paste in Place.

Xara's grand plan with its recent one-layer button rollovers and now Web Block is killing creativity; everything now has a wrapper and you have to know that individual one's quirks to achieve what way a productive, fluid work flow cycle.

Stifling.

I might use WBs for prototyping then zap then wrappers off and add in the important stuff then.
    Layout groups are still the major killer for me, oh, and accidently dragging an Embedded Group out of the WB - quite a pain to re-anchoring it as before is nigh on impossible.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I look forward to Xara finding a way for WBs to fit existing sites. Width is the major problem well documented. Of the 5 sites I don’t use a standard width; I use a width which I think is a standard for a viewing audience. Seniors often aren’t viewing a large screen. Usually laptops. Seniors don’t use phones as much as young people for browser viewing. I’m a zoomer and view on iPads a lot.

As Acorn documented in another thread, if WBs can be made more adjustable, and can be used successfully in existing sites their valu increases. At least we can take WBs apart but that comes with a time factor and knowing the program. The ability to make our own blocks is an advantage as Acorn described at the top of the thread. Again, one has to understand the inner workings of Xara.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Sadly, I find this statement telling.

Even the simple task of creating a roll-over into the MouseOver layer beats the traditional Clone and move to MOv layer.

I might use WBs for prototyping then zap then wrappers off and add in the important stuff then.
    Layout groups are still the major killer for me, oh, and accidently dragging an Embedded Group out of the WB - quite a pain to re-anchoring it as before is nigh on impossible.

Acorn
    As I continue to play with WBs. I’m a intermediate user of Xara, not in the advanced stage such as Acorn, Gary or Boy.
    I took a site that I do for a church. Not a site that requires a lot of changes. Here are some of the challenges I experienced.

- hero image. Upon opening the web block I discovered that I could not move text without the hero image. If I wanted to move the text I would have to ungroup again. Oops, the smart shape properties would disappear. Users have to remember to retrace their steps.

- I wanted two smaller maps in horizontal arrangement, rather than the one large map with contact info. This became an impossible mess.

- WB navigation. That comes with the hero image. WB chosen was with the nav bar to the right. Open the web block and tried to change the justification. I’d have to ungroup and open the nav bar and move manually, again, if one’s a beginner with Xara they would have to retrace their steps.

My level of experience is that WBs are not worth reworking. It’s fun once. In a mock up if a client liked a design I would make in manually.

It may me think of my wish list for Xara, but I think this thread is WBs. I’ll look and see if there’s a thread for wish list.
    Last edited by bwood; 01 May 2023 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    I’m a intermediate user of Xara, not in the advanced stage such as Acorn, Gary or Boy.
    You're very kind to include me in the ranks of Acorn and Gary but I'm nowhere near their level of expertise. Just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post

Do note some XBuilder WBs come with a Help folder that you probably should keep hidden.
    The other difficulty is those with off-page components and old-style image filenaming.
    You need a better grasp of how Xara works to get these right so advise which one is a problem but only if you are desperate.

Acorn
    It certainly makes good sense for xbuilder. Although I’ve learned far more about WBs by taking them apart than actually using them. Here’s what the average user of Xara pro can learn.

- relationship of repeating, live copies, clones, and sharing. How they all work together in a block format in variants.
    - smart shapes. How to make them. How to convert them.
    - themed colors, and their relationship to your present designs. Admittedly I still haven’t mastered my color picker, but it’s in the manual.
    - Acorn explains how to make your own blocks for future use.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

@acorn said … This will add content to Main and Variant in a new page.
    Next Select All on Main and use Arrange > Create Web Block.
    Do the smae for the Variant content.
    Now, select either new WB Green wrapper and Copy.
    Move to your design page and Paste.
    The XBuilder WB will appear as a Xara-wrapped Web Block at the bottom of the page.
    Drag to its required position.

Repeat for any other XBuilder Web Blocks.
    At the end, you will have a number of pages holding the original XBuilder Web Blocks.

You could copy these to another blank Modular design and keep for re-use.
    You can even delete them as they are fairly easy to rebuild.

———————————

Anyone playing with blocks save the above. I’m converting two sites to blocks at the moment. I’ll share once done. The @acorn post from the start indicates what you can do with blocks and xbuilder. Bravo. Xara I believe will add more navigation possibilities. I have not played with a blocks template yet, but the gallery portion of WBs offers many designs, enough that I can drop some unruly slide shows.
    Thanks for the initial post @acorn.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design