Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Lightbulb Proper Perpetual Calendars

I rarely use Xara templates as I find them to be little more than eye candy.
    The worst are the six Calendars templates that are still 2017.
    Xara does not respond quickly to the fact that the year changes annually and people need calendars at printers well before year end.

Also try adding events to any of them; you end up fighting sizing and styles.

I have created a functional template, where you can (must) add your images and other layout preferences.
    The trade-off is the template can accommodate any year past, present or future.

Yes, you have to duplicate 12 months.
    All you then do is add the Month and Year at the top of each page.
    You do the same for the Year view.

Calendar Picker.web

Enjoy,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Proper Perpetual Calendars

Excellent Acorn...
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Excellent Acorn...
    Jim
    Thank you Jim.
    I am now looking for a suitable event list format to pre-populate a calendar.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Excellent - Pity Xara still don't include scripting in the product.
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

Quote Originally Posted by Christine Farrelly View Post
    Christine, the lack of a simple HTML editor for Placeholder work is a lazy oversight. Even Notepad has the edge.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Christine Farrelly View Post
    The two programmers of an application I use every day are adding scripting. One can use JavaScript (macOS/Windows), VBScript (Windows), AppleScript (macOS), C# (Windows), Visual Basic (Windows).

Unless they are done with dot releases now (they added other functionality during the last dot release like always), it would then be in the next major release. But it is in the beta and works great.

Been playing around with Acorns excellent perpetual calendar. I've created one using his template and I'm very pleased with the results.

I'll attach a xar file for anyone to mess with as they wish. I'm cuffed in as much as I managed to get javascript to load the current month, all on my own I'm crap at coding.

However I have one issue. I can't understand why the Previous/Next arrow buttons don't work. Can anyone say why they're not working? Am I having a senior moment? I've had to add a temp nav bar ("jan", "feb" , "mar" etc) to navigate through the calendar.

DEMO
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

It is something to do with the binder image, if you put the arrows at each side or make the binder image very narrow they work. Doesn't look as if there is an overlap though.
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

Egg, it is because your MouseOver buttons are larger and are being obscured by Wednesday and Friday texts.
    Put them on the bottom on the behind page that you've done for June.

Your Prev link for January jumps to November because it hits the JavaScript code on your index page.
    Same for Next on the December page.
    I would get round this by explicitly stating which page to jump to for these two end cases.
    I would go a a page curl effect as you chose to mount your calendar with a comb binding.

You need to advise there's code lurking on the index page.
    Ditto, the fact you hid the preceding and following date groups behind boxes in the hider layer.
    I would have locked each shape and added a light transparency to the hiders.

Lots of nice touches.

Acorn

Yes cheers Acorn. Christine's post put me on the right trail. It wasn't the binder image but the day/month text that was causing the problem re the buttons. Moving them outside the day/month text region allowed them to work correctly.

I would get round this by explicitly stating which page to jump to for these two end cases.
    I've resolved the issue with the December/January buttons now.

I would go a a page curl effect as you chose to mount your calendar with a comb binding.
    Good idea.

Ditto, the fact you hid the preceding and following date groups behind boxes in the hider layer.
    I would have locked each shape and added a light transparency to the hiders.
    The hider layer has a snap to grid option, so if you just have this layer editable it's easy to snap to whatever date is revealed/hidden.
    I think the light transparency option is a matter of choice ???

All that said I really appreciate your coding. To create a 2019 calendar only requires the file duplicated, the year changed and the hiders, whether semi transparent or not, adjusted to cover the relevant areas.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host