Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Consequences

Lightbulb Consequences

Dear Xara...

In the real world, viewers of Xara-designed websites probably want to print off a page on occasion.
    With a pixel-positioned web page that is centred, the print preview included the offset required to centre the page.

A real-world scenario is ongoing here: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...nd-on-Web-page.
    In IE, you don't get to see a preview and so lots of wasted paper later, the designer and consequently Xara are slurred.

If the browser viewport matches the web page width, then all is well but try and explain that to any Internet-connected user.

Now, I could suggest changing the 'xr_ap' class margin to 0px or setting the left-margin to -(margin); tricky as I don't know what other background code you run. Or, as I suggested in a one-liner, opening a new window with the viewport aligned to the page width.

It must be in Xara's interest to provide an @media css print setting that covers the need for printing of its generated pages or to offer up the solution wrapped in a Print Page button.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Consequences

Hi Acorn, I don't pretend to understand the majority of this issue, however I've found that this PrintScreen issue is far from simple. ALL browsers reduce the image size down to allow the inclusion of page headers and footers.

Not a great problem in the general overall print. It gives an (+/- 80% print?)

Okay, losing the plot here,I'll be back tomorrow.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Hi Acorn, I don't pretend to understand the majority of this issue, however I've found that this PrintScreen issue is far from simple. ALL browsers reduce the image size down to allow the inclusion of page headers and footers.
    Not a great problem in the general overall print. It gives an (+/- 80% print?)
    Okay, losing the plot here,I'll be back tomorrow.
    Egg, the nub of the problem is if you have a browser with a large viewing area, when you come to print the margin to centre the page is part of the print.

Use Attachment 121842 as a test page to see the problem: either adjust the width or the page zoom.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I found by accident that setting the site to supersite appears to do away with this left margin offset Acorn. Not ideal but it's better than nowt. Every browser also appears to have it's own method of Print Page and the results vary widely so finding a method that suits all browsers is going to be a PIA.

The pasteboard images aren't included in the prints (at least in print preview).
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

[as user only] I print off the web a lot and I agree with egg, printing from browser is a black art; I virtually always print to PDF, never directly to paper...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    [as user only] I print off the web a lot and I agree with egg, printing from browser is a black art; I virtually always print to PDF, never directly to paper...
    handrawn, so the dilemma faced is, on one hand, all the web designers using Xara Desktop application that have little or no coding experience, which Xara indicates is not needed, presenting a website page with a printable element. On the other hand, the website's viewers, regardless of any advice, chosing to use the browser's built-in print page capability.

Both have done such with countless other websites and now get an unexpected fail.

Xara's centring the page has a consequence of things not working as expected thereafter.
    It should be a Xara fix or explanation, not our discovery of a fault or remedy.
    The use of PDF, Egg's discovery of a Supersite approach and my JavaScript hack are not a solutions, just sticking plasters.

Acorn

Yes, definitely sticking plasters
    Egg