Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Default Re: The controversial eraser tool

you can break shapes afterwards in xara Bob, or am I missing something? [see attached]

Ricardo - this very argument was used by a long term member here to argue against the need for an eraser in xara in one of the previous eraser threads - and if you only use xara in the traditional vector way it's a fair point

but if you want to draw fast and free to do this would be like trying to race a bike but having to stop every time you need to change gear....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	break.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	83634  
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    you can break shapes afterwards in xara Bob, or am I missing something? [see attached]

Ricardo - this very argument was used by a long term member here to argue against the need for an eraser in xara in one of the previous eraser threads - and if you only use xara in the traditional vector way it's a fair point

but if you want to draw fast and free to do this would be like trying to race a bike but having to stop every time you need to change gear....

I agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    you can break shapes afterwards in xara Bob, or am I missing something?....
    No Steve, my mistake, I missed the hidden extra step - Break Shapes.

So there's even one more step to accomplish a one step task in Serif - it's not ideal for workflow.
    Bob.

Name:	shapes.png 
Views:	106 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	83638  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

not ideal at all Bob
    Nothing lasts forever...

I can see the argument from both sides--that of having the eraser and using a brush or line, subtract to produce the broken shape.

In the scheme of things, to me, the work flow isn't hurt by the one extra step presently required in XDP as it is the effect I would be after, not necessarily a minimal speed gain. Why? Because if I was using that process on an element, it isn't like I have dozens of shapes to do it to. Not for my work anyway.

Maybe if all I did was toons, or ? I would see the value of the needed programming time. But there are vector things in XDP that I think need fixed or enhanced before new features or capabilities are added as goes programming time. Heck, I still want the web stuff ripped out and have the two main application lines enhanced for the distinct abilities. Then perhaps having an added capability of an eraser makes sense to take the time to produce.

But...I will admit I am ignorant of how this feature would enhance my designing using XDP. I am open to concrete examples of what it would do for me.

Take care, Mike

I have moved discussion of web stuff removal to a new thread:

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...-xara-designer
    Last edited by handrawn; 18 August 2011 at 07:07 PM. Reason: dreaded typo
    Nothing lasts forever...

I've discovered another "hidden" Eraser Tool in Xara.

The secret is to use the Contour Tool to make the Freehand Tool work like an eraser:

Name:	new eraser tool.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	83646  

For everyone suggesting workarounds to the the eraser: that's the point. We don't want work around. We want an actual eraser. The most effective/convenient workaround right now is to use the eraser in a vector program that has one and cut and paste the object into Xara. You can't tell me that switching tools and and breaking shapes is more convenient.
    Sheff
    My Site

Hi Sheff--I haven't yet had any takers to my question about the utility of the eraser.

I suppose it is because of the type of work I do, the subtract shape thing works for me. In thinking about it, if I was doing computer-based, free-hand illustration, that might be a reason I could envision the utility of the eraser.

What I don't know is "the why" from the proponents point of view. So I am guessing in the dark on utility. How would you use this feature and, perhaps, how much of yoru work would benefit from it?

I'm really curious about others' usage (how and how often) of the eraser, in real life situations.

Take care, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Hi Sheff--I haven't yet had any takers to my question about the utility of the eraser.
    Wasn't the video in the first post enough?