Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Unhappy version 18 is too slow compared to version 17, not usable for me

i often have to work with files from autocad.
    version 18 ist not usable anymore.

for example try change the line color to black.
    version 17 slow but ok.
    version 18 after serevral minutes i quit xara.

Test 01.xar
    no sicknature. for nearly 20 years. omg ...
    For many problems there are simple and easy-to-understand solutions that do not work.

Default Re: version 18 is too slow compared to version 17, not usable for me

v17 - 30 seconds for any change.
    v18 & v21 much worse.

Reinhard, you do have over 6,000 objects in play and the XDAs have repeatedly failed at scale for large numbers of page in DTP, too many Repeating Groups in Web and here in a large drawing.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 26 March 2021 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Corrected small typo
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hey Acron,

thx four your replay.

i do not understand exactly what you mean with
    "XDAs have repeatedly failed at scale for large numbers of page in DTP, too many Repeating Groups in Web and here in a large drawing."

but first i have weekend!
    cold beer is waiting.

cheerz
    reinhard
    Last edited by Acorn; 26 March 2021 at 05:31 PM.
    For many problems there are simple and easy-to-understand solutions that do not work.

Thumbs down Re: version 18 is too slow compared to version 17, not usable for me

Sorry Reinhard, I have corrected a small typo in my OP and your Reply.

I was saying that the XDAs die a slow death, if you have too many pages (DTP, Web, Variants), repeating objects or shapes.
    My favourite pastime is watching the Web Properties > Link >Link to web input box vanish when the XDA is traversing its internal heaps, a sign that the XDA has reached its limit.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi,

We have accidentally introduced an unwanted "order of complexity" issue with large groups in the Selector tool.

This will be fixed in a patch soon.
    Last edited by PhilM; 26 March 2021 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    Hi,
    We have accidentally introduced a unwanted "order of complexity issue" with large groups in the Selector tool.
    Thank you for letting us all know.

Does this also address the other mentions of large numbers pages and repeating objects?

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Thank you for letting us all know.

Does this also address the other mentions of large numbers pages and repeating objects?

Acorn
    No, this is a specific problem in the Selector tool.

Have the issues with large documents and repeating objects been reported elsewhere? What is the scenario?

Bug Re: version 18 is too slow compared to version 17, not usable for me

No, this is a specific problem in the Selector tool.
    Have the issues with large documents and repeating objects been reported elsewhere? What is the scenario?
    I swear I bashed my gums over this with Xara (& Cloud) back in July last year.
    I was no willing to upload a 56MB files during the middle of a frustrating development period.

My workaround was to delete all Repeating Group while working on the design and re-apply prior to a re-issue.
    My second workaround was to fall back to XWDPv15.0 as my client had that and reported fewer timing problems.

Basically, the selection of any shape would freeze the application for 15+ seconds.
    The MS Windows Ring of Ouroboros would spin for 15+ seconds; the Web Properties > Link > Link to box would vanish; the monitor screen would go black; the application would jump behind other open windows.
    Each and every click.

I have cut out all the large images and the file size is now 3MB. The document has 107 web pages and one Variant.
    In Xara Pro+ (Xara Designer Pro+ 21.0.0.61527 SL x64 Mar 9 2021), the same is still occurring. [Pro+ is referred to as Xara Designer Pro+ 18 18.0.0.61527 in File > Document History > History tab]

UPDATE: I tried a PM with Attachment but lost it - I will email your directly.

UPDATED UPDATE: I have just created a test file that all can play with: Repeating Groups FAIL.xar
    The delay in this simply Conventional Website is around 3 seconds a click, a move, a jump. same applied - 3 seconds - for a single letter change in the text!
    Open the Web Properties dialog and watch the Link Tab and the Link to Box.

Consider the frustration when this telescopes out to 15+ seconds.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 27 March 2021 at 01:29 PM.

Hi,

We have accidentally introduced an unwanted "order of complexity" issue with large groups in the Selector tool.

Hi,
    will i read here somewhere when the fix will be availble?

regards
    reinhard

Quote Originally Posted by rsrsrs View Post
    Hi,
    will i read here somewhere when the fix will be availble?
    regards
    reinhard
    Reinhard, I had a PM back from PhilM advising that there are a number of separate issues resulting in the slowness and that they are being worked on.

Acorn