Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 53 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast

Default Framed sentiment

I think the saying is funnier and better then my execution of the saying.

It's just Xara, and imported royalty free photo, and good use of text, with a little blending to emphasize the texture of the pic in the frame.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fool-and-his-money.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	117048

Default Re: Framed sentiment

Like it. Reminds me of that other saying Gary." If money doesn't make you happy, then you're not throwing enough money at it".

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Like it. Reminds me of that other saying Gary." If money doesn't make you happy, then you're not throwing enough money at it".

I get the gist of Mr. Priester's quote. :)

I've tried to do a series of very simple drawings, some in Xara, some with a physical pencil and paper, and some using other programs. Simplicity for the sake of simplicity. How few stokes can you use to create both an evocative and recognizable drawing?

Name:	pussy-cat.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	117442

It's a little too clean, too "vectorish" for me at the moment. I'll find something to create "controlled grunge" in my filters box!

-g

Love it! I't very strong and at the same time 'cute'.

Gare, I have a few questions. In your opinion, what's the difference between an artist, a designer and an illustrator? Which of them, if any, do you consider applies to you? Almost each time you post your work I'm struck by it. By the composition, the style, the rendering, and/or the materials, colors, shapes etc. you use. It's always very creative and you use a large variety of styles. I've difficulty finding the right words, so therefore I'm asking you...

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Love it! I't very strong and at the same time 'cute'.

Gare, I have a few questions. In your opinion, what's the difference between an artist, a designer and an illustrator? Which of them, if any, do you consider applies to you? Almost each time you post your work I'm struck by it. By the composition, the style, the rendering, and/or the materials, colors, shapes etc. you use. It's always very creative and you use a large variety of styles. I've difficulty finding the right words, so therefore I'm asking you...
    I am so very sorry that this message has been sitting here, unanswered, boy! I got no ping that I knew of in my mail browser, and frankly, have not had spare time to use Xara for an entire illustration, or anything.

My take, and this is only an opinion wrought out of 50+ years with a pencil—physical and digital—is that titles are subordinate to any given piece of art. I know this sounds confusing with a touch of arrogant, sorry!

When I create something I have in my imagination, if anyone asks me during or after the process, I call it art. The creator or art is an artist, and I use that title conditionally. The IRS doesn't understand "artist", considers it too vague and superfluous I've learned aft all these years, so for business cards and tax forms, I use Illustrator. It's an understandable, but not comprehensive description of what I do. I think writing is an art, as is music, dance, sculpting, blah-blah-blah, that doesn't fall under the auspices of "Illustrator".

BTW, the guys (sorry, monks) who both painted and drew pictures for sacred works and probably a few adult publications, were called "Illuminators", the work shedding light on text that might be difficult to describe using the printed work.And this term is seen as so friggin' haughty, only the very conceited, rightfully or not, use the tag.

Oh, and it's okay to use Illuminator when working a Renaissance Fair.

Designer is a tough one because every description I've heard usually offends a designer—suggesting they are competent at layout, but fail as a creator of art. Perhaps "Designer" is a talent? In my undersized head, when I'm making, for example, a magazine cover mockup, I usually have not done the photography. And didn't create the masthead, nor do I often come up with the color scheme, although that is the duty of a designer most of the time. So if I assemble diverse media I pick out, and didn't originate any of it, I could call myself a Designer.

But wait! It's gets more vague: If I create a piece or art, physical or digital, that illustrates an idea, or if I do a piece just for the heck of it, and then get a gig for designing a book cover, I'm both the illustrator and the designer, right?

Boy, if something evokes any sort of reaction, and the memory of it stays with you after seeing it, there's a good chance that it's art.

Not at a loss for words, but many would wish so,

Gary

Default Redirect :)

I'm hugely annoyed that I missed boy's post from May...that's 5 years in Internet Time...all because I just let this gallery get out of control, size-wise, so I'll be at a new gallery I just created almost entirely from now on.

this gallery is too long! Go here!

Name:	minimalist-pear.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	119056

Name:  salamander.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  14.5 KB

-g

Default Re: Gary Bouton's Xara Stuff

I feel that my gallery here is so ponderously packed that it takes 5 minutes to scroll down to this page.

So I'm created an annex, a second gallery that I will attend to and probably over-populate in due time.

Right here, no, no— to the left, there, right here
    I hope you'll enjoy work by a fellow Xarist, who is prolific these days because I'm "between" books—remember "books" and a big thanks to all who venture outr and create galleries of their own here and other gallery locations on the Web!

Happy Click+dragging,

Gary

Name:  g (2).jpg
Views: 262
Size:  3.0 KB

Name:  Guy-falling-right.gif
Views: 274
Size:  7.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    probably over-populate in due time.

Name:  Guy-falling-right.gif
Views: 274
Size:  7.3 KB
    Probably but we always enjoy seeing your work Gare.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

You are most kind, Larry.

and Ron Duke is second kind.

I'm kidding, I'm kidding! A play n words, sorry!

Name:  Thank-you-plate.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  24.5 KB

Name:  MedumSmily.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  5.4 KB

Default Re: Glory Daze

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Don't hope, Larry. Just know it.

I don't know which way to hold a brush.

I failed both Watercolor and Oils in college.

I wound up using markers in advertising and then the computer.

But I can also play "In A Gadda Da Vida", not that anyone wants to ever hear that one again!

-g
    I had the album, but foolishly gave it away.
    I loved the butterfly’s coming to life, the heart beat, the squeaking wings, etc.
    Iron Butterfly, Cream were a couple of my favs! (Sunshine of Your Love!)
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer