Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default V17 Button Sizing

The button sizing option in Control Bars for version 17 seems to have disappeared. Is it somewhere else?

Default Re: V17 Button Sizing

Quote Originally Posted by DanFelix View Post
    The button sizing option in Control Bars for version 17 seems to have disappeared. Is it somewhere else?
    DF, I am totally lost over what you are describing as missing.

I know the Help > Index > control bars has text:
    Changing the size of buttons
    Buttons can be large or small as selected in the Control Bars dialog box.
    I have never actually found any such function on any prior version.
    Can you screenshot a v16 example or difference?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I do remember being able to change the button sizes, but that's many versions ago, and I don't have anything currently installed where I can prove it was an item. I've never had need to use anything but small.

I know it's nit-picky with all the issues Xara seem to have these days, but it seems that the small items like updating the button palette and the help and the manual to reflect the new or updated items, seem to have been ignored as items in the program change.

It's been a while now since the "Export to PDF" item was added to the menu, but no-one added an icon for it. Personally, I tend to use icons more than any other interaction (e.g. menu's or keyboard commands), as they are always visually available ... but why is the ability to customize the menu's so far behind the current capabilities of the program.

Being able to change the size of the buttons seems to be one of these items that have changed (and changed a LONG time ago apparently), but the help files referring to it are HOPELESSLY out of date. Whenever the program changes, the GUI should change to accommodate/reflect it.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I do seem to remember this capability but a long time ago. With the introduction of 4K monitors, along with there being NO 4K support larger buttons would be helpful.

The only objects that can be enlarged are the colors on the color line: Small, Medium, Medium with Scrollbar, and Large with Scrollbar.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    I do remember being able to change the button sizes, but that's many versions ago, and I don't have anything currently installed where I can prove it was an item. I've never had need to use anything but small.
    I know it's nit-picky with all the issues Xara seem to have these days, but it seems that the small items like updating the button palette and the help and the manual to reflect the new or updated items, seem to have been ignored as items in the program change.
    It's been a while now since the "Export to PDF" item was added to the menu, but no-one added an icon for it. Personally, I tend to use icons more than any other interaction (e.g. menu's or keyboard commands), as they are always visually available ... but why is the ability to customize the menu's so far behind the current capabilities of the program.
    Being able to change the size of the buttons seems to be one of these items that have changed (and changed a LONG time ago apparently), but the help files referring to it are HOPELESSLY out of date. Whenever the program changes, the GUI should change to accommodate/reflect it.
    Xara has lost its corporate knowledge of what to change regarding buttons, Shortcut keys, setting up sub-menu key presses, CHM file and PDF Manual updates and notifications of changes to the paying public as well as descriptions of use of any dialogs..

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

The button sizing must only reside in the light version, and not the dark. I changed my V16 to the light version and the option exists in Control Bars. The default Dark version of V17 does not offer it. I believe that solves the mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by DanFelix View Post
    The button sizing must only reside in the light version, and not the dark. I changed my V16 to the light version and the option exists in Control Bars. The default Dark version of V17 does not offer it. I believe that solves the mystery.
    Thank you.

Acorn

Hi Keith,
    Found these:
    Dark; greyed out, no access?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-03-20_X5.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	126587   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snap00 3-20-2020.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	126588  

~Fred

That's what I remember!

Curiously, in Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 10 - which is the earliest one I still have installed (I don't have Pro since V6 - I don't need it) there is no option for icon sizes.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

So, one more orphaned feature. Moved for all the good it will do, to Dear Xara.