Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Re: My site takes a long time to load . . .

Haha. Good catch Gary.

Yea I think youre right about it being too big. I like the spacing though, so I'll just scale it down.

I use the same hoster on a different website, and as far as I know, it loads super fast, but it only has one picture, or just a couple.

Could be that the host is having issues, but my the home page comes out at around 5MB in size.

Seems fairly large.

Quote Originally Posted by Braden View Post
    Could be that the host is having issues, but my the home page comes out at around 5MB in size.

Seems fairly large.
    That will probably be the photos. Resize them to be only a little bigger than the intended viewing size.

Thanks everyone.

I've heard a review that was pretty eye-opening.

I have a lot of work to do, and almost feel the need to start from scratch.

Discouraging.

Discouraging.
    There isn't anyone here who hasn't started from scratch; I virtually plan it into my schedule! You'll also find you'll re-create a lot faster and easier because you have more clarity in where you are headed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    There isn't anyone here who hasn't started from scratch; I virtually plan it into my schedule! You'll also find you'll re-create a lot faster and easier because you have more clarity in where you are headed.
    Absolutely. Nobody starts out without a few mistakes.

Braden, your Main Home page resizing has reduced the load time down to 6.5 to 9 seconds here. A reload is around 0.5 to 3 seconds. The slider is taking up around four seconds.

Sadly, most of your other PNGs each take a quarter of a second as well and all together these times add up.
    The NavBar buttons could be made into text and CSS, achieving the same effect.
    The headings with a line width are all converted to graphics so remove this and use possibly CSS to add the edging.

With large image collections, I prefer to host them myself and avoid the Xara offering.

Hope this helps.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    With large image collections, I prefer to host them myself and avoid the Xara offering.

Hope this helps.

Acorn
    Not sure what you meant by this, so I'm not sure how to implement it.

However, I was able to replace the PNGs' with the original JPEGs' which I compressed. This boosted the quality of the photos by quite a lot while reducing the file size by almost half.

I also found that when saving the slider, it generates a preview image(for design purposes I assume) which makes a pretty big image file at 4+MB. I deleted it.

Not sure how to make the buttons CSS. Maybe it's because the text was converted to editable shapes. I did this because I kept getting a warning about the font.

I wish I knew how to make all the objects text, even the logo.

Will having to download a font cause the website to take a long time to load?

I assume all I need to do is un-group the buttons, re-retype the text and group it back together.

The headings were successfully converted in this manner, they are now text with the shadow tool applied.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, eAcorn.

I'll be re-uploading the site momentarily.

not sure what changes were made since your OP
    loaded 6 secs for me
    I thought the sight looked ok - especially for its intended audience
    it was informative
    I would make a suggestion
    your top sticky nav section - sits on a semi-transparent background
    so when your 'other words' slide under it - it looks jumbled
    I would make the top background solid color
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-12-02 06_15_39-Pilgrim Way Construction - Home.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	125812
    also
    the portfolio page was empty
    (no header menu -- just copyright on the bottom)

Thanks everyone.

I've heard a review that was pretty eye-opening.

Discouraging.
    Hi Braden,

No need to be discouraged... it's just a 'trial & error' game until your errors get less & your 'trials' become easier and better...

Basically what you've got so far is... ready? LOL Let's just say it's needs some help...
    It doesn't convey CONSTRUCTION COMPANY! You know... something 'STRONG' 'SOLID' 'DEPENDABLE' etc...

For example... that font you chose for the home page heading... Your a CONSTRUCTION COMPANY... it's to frilly, designee... doesn't convey
    to me a feeling of confidence.... Anyway, why go on...

If you'd like... I have some time on my hands tonight... would you like to see some Ideas for 'at least' your home page?
    I could do some quick mock-ups and put them up on Xara space... then if you like any/part of it/them I'll just send you the file?

Let me know....

Cliff

oh... and if no... not a problem.... if yes... and you don't like something... just tell me... I have the thickest web design skin on the planet... I get beat up all the time.... I think I'm beginning to like it... LOL

I think Braden has made good progress with a redesign here: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...window-somehow