Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How restrict text search scope to current page?

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I will move this thread to Dear Xara and see if we can get one of the developers to respond.
    Thank you!!!

Heard back from my contact at Xara who said he thought the feature had been removed because people did not use the feature and it was cluttering up the dialog.

I found that the function was there in Ver 9 but by version 11 it was gone. Did not have version 10 so don't know about it.

This got me to thinking so I checked my word processor programs and they do not have a single page function either.

I can see where this would be useful but then again would not "Find Next" be just as good for a single page?

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by cadudesun View Post
    Thank you!!!
    Carlos, this might sound counter-intuitive but...

On the page you want to search, select and and right-click and pick Lock.

Open the Find/Replace box (Select tool: Ctrl+Alt+F, Text tool: Ctrl+F).
    Input search for: <search term>
    Replace with: &&&&&

On the page you want to search, right-click and pick Unlock all on page.
    Now Input search for: <search term>
    Replace with: <replacement term>

Finally, Input search for: &&&&&
    Replace with: <search term>

&&&&& simply has to be anything that is not in the document presently.

It is reversible other than any prior Locks and Case might be lost.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by RKissane View Post
    I can see where this would be useful but then again would not "Find Next" be just as good for a single page?
    Ray
    "Find Next" would work if you have a 1-page document, but for a document with some pages, it won't work.
    Huge shortcomings when you enter the search term:
    - The page wil move automatically to that having the first occurrence of the searched term.
    - I lost focus from the page I was working on (since XDP moved automatically to another page)
    - I need to keep to press "Find Next" several times, being transported to many of the document pages.
    - If I'm am luck and the term exist, I will be lead to my "current page"
    - If the term doesn't exist in my "current page", I will have the additional step to look for and navigate to that page.

@acorn, thanks for the further workaround.

I can't believe "the feature had been removed because people did not use the feature and it was cluttering up the dialog", as pointed by @gwpriester.

Since the feature is already there (in the code), and in my opinion it doesn't clutter the search dialog, but makes it much more powerful, I hope Xara developers could return the functionality.

Best,
    Carlos

+1
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi,
    I opened the [Ticket#2019012317007571] with Xara support requesting the reimplementation of the scope "current page" in the "find and replace" dialog:

Hi,
    Could Xara please make available again the scope "current page" (existed in previous versions of XDP) to the "find and replace" dialog (see attached snapshot).
    According to the following forum thread, Xara removed the functionality "because people did not use the feature and it was cluttering up the dialog":
    https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...ent-page/page2
    Since the feature is already there (in the code), and in my opinion, it doesn't clutter the search dialog but makes it much more powerful, I hope Xara developers could return the functionality.
    Currently, there is no way to restrict the search content to a single page, what is a severe shortcoming for XDP desktop publishing functionality.
    Thank you for considering the improvement request!
    Carlos Silva
    Then I received the following answer from Xara:

Dear Mr. Silva,

Thank you for your message.

I have forwarded your feature request to the developers, but I can't promise anything that this function will be inserted again, because it has been specifically removed.

--
    Best regards,
    Lukas Jonscher

MAGIX Software GmbH
    Postfach 500109
    01067 Dresden - Germany
    If this functionality request has use for you, please open a new ticket request in Xara support: https://support2.magix.com/customer/
    Once I heard from Xara support that they wouldn't fix a certain bug I reported because there is no other users reporting it, so no priority, no fix.
    Because of that I'm suggesting other users to open a new ticket, so that Xara can see the lack of "current page" scope is a shortcoming for others too.
    Thanks,
    Carlos

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image_xara.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	123202

Obviously the Xara Developers will read this Thread and appreciate there is disquiet around an arbitrary removal of functionality.

Acorn