Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Backlinking between mobile and main

Today I'm making backlinks. Since I am building a mobile and main website for one single website, do I need to make a backlink for the mobile and the main?

I do realize if I make a backlink for the mobile I give those mobile searchers the opportunity to click on the link but I'm not sure if it will confused the search engines. So what do you think?

Thanks

Default Re: Backlinking between mobile and main

Quote Originally Posted by again View Post
    Today I'm making backlinks. Since I am building a mobile and main website for one single website, do I need to make a backlink for the mobile and the main?

I do realize if I make a backlink for the mobile I give those mobile searchers the opportunity to click on the link but I'm not sure if it will confused the search engines. So what do you think?

Thanks
    Truly I don't know, but I would hope Google would punish you for doing stuff like that. It's of no benefit to the site visitor.

The mobiel and main versions are variants of one single website. Some code determines the size of the appliance's viewport (desktop, mobile, tablet) and, hence, shows the appropriate variant. So, only one link is needed (and possible).

Boy, I think I'll just leave the backlink only on the main. It will still be seen by Google and that's what really counts. I was reading the other day on this forum the problems with the mobile and it would be nice if they made the main a responsive website. Thanks for checking me!!

Boy, I think I'll just leave the backlink only on the main. It will still be seen by Google and that's what really counts. I was reading the other day on this forum the problems with the mobile and it would be nice if they made the main a responsive website. Thanks for checking me!!
    I wondered if you'd developed separate sites with redirection rather than used variants. Since you are using variants then I see absolutely no value to what you are doing and I doubt that Google would consider a site linking back to itself as a backlink.

Websites used to always link back to themselves using the site logo, so you knew that pressing the logo would return to the home of the site.

I think you're wasting your time with this backlink idea - it's not a backlink. A link needs to be between different sites to be a backlink.

pauland, I'm sorry you misunderstood what I was saying. I was not talking about backlinking between the mobile and main. I was just asking if I should remain perfectly consistent between the mobile and main. Maybe I could've written the title of my post better. Sorry for any confusion and I know you meant the best!!

I probably wasn't clear. It's not possible to have separate links to the main and mobile variants. There is only one website with only one web address. If you change the size of your browser window on our desktop/laptop computer from large to small or v.v. you'll see the two variants alternately. Depending on the variant sizes you have chosen for the main and mobile variants, you may also see both versions when rotating your mobile phone/tablet from portrait to landscape and v.v.

You are backlinking into the page URL. It is up to the viewer's browser width to then work out if it is the Main or a Variant that is presented.
    If you backlink to material that is visible on both then you will be alright.
    If you backlink to material that is only on the Main viewing of the page then the viewer, not Google, will be mightily confused when they cannot find any mention of the information you had advertised.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Am I missing something here? A link on a website to another place on the same website is not a backlink.

I am putting a link on my website to another website. The other website is putting a link on their website to my website.