Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Pdf problem

Default Pdf problem

I have chrome set as my default for pdf's, but every time I export a pdf with XDPX it changes my default to firefox. Anybody know why and if there is a way to stop it as I prefer chrome and have to keep resetting it back as the default.

Question Re: Pdf problem

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsyjoe View Post
    I have chrome set as my default for pdf's, but every time I export a pdf with XDPX it changes my default to firefox. Anybody know why and if there is a way to stop it as I prefer chrome and have to keep resetting it back as the default.
    Is this a proper File > Export PDF or a File > Print > Printer > Microsoft Print to PDF?

Viewing in a browser is a tad sloppy, why do you not use Adobe Reader or other PDF viewer?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Pdf problem

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Is this a proper File > Export PDF or a File > Print > Printer > Microsoft Print to PDF?
    Its File > Export PDF and have never downloaded Adobe Reader as Chrome has always been fine for looking at PDF and was always been default until I was trying to export.

Like you, I use a browser (Edge) to view PDFs, and I also have FF installed. Xara exports and opens Edge, not FF. I'm thinking this may be Windows not Xara.

Navigate to a PDF anywhere on your HDD, it doesn't have to be anything to do with Xara.
    Right click the PDF > Properties > Change > (go find Chrome)

Yes, it should be the same as going to Settings, Choose Defaults, but when something doesn't work, try another.

Thanks Chris tried your solution same result as soon as I export its back to Firefox. which isn't bad just prefer the look of chrome.

Try making Edge the default. If FF still takes over, uninstall and reinstall FF. If Edge remains default, uninstall and reinstall Chrome.

You may have already done this, but if not, try 'open with' for any .pdf file and reset the pdf open default to the app of your choice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PDF Export Options.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	126490

Thanks Chris tried this solution after I read your answer, no joy still does the same thing. For some reason xara likes firefox and resets my default every time.

Thank you Initiostar, what you say is the very first thing I tried, resetting my default. As soon as I export a pdf xara resets it to firefox.