Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullrushes

Looking for comments and critique of this Painter 5.5 effort.

It's also posted at In-Depth,

Thanx!

Wayne D

Arizona
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bullrushes.jpg 
Views:	562 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	4992  
    IP

Looking for comments and critique of this Painter 5.5 effort.

It's also posted at In-Depth,

Thanx!

Wayne D

Arizona
    IP

Welcome to the talkgraphics Painter Forum, Wayne!

I like the limited palette that you chose. I like the big dark cloud up in the top left. I like the way it looks like you ummm added salt or water to the sky/background to make those drops of color in the background. I like that the pool of water is the same color as the cloud above.

Is the leaning plant called a bullrush? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I never knew that. I do wonder if the stalk is too straight there at the bottom right. . . but to me, that is such a minor element. .. and I really haven't paid such attention to those plants. The image is so well done, I wouldn't mess with it.

overall, nice work. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] there is a certain clarity of the colors that I like here.(even though the colors chosen weren't like TECHNICOLOR or something really bright) So why do I like the colors? .. . no good reason. . .I just do.

I like the way they work with the white in the picture. well done.

Athena
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Very appealing image Wayne! The bullrush looks great. Athena, they do look just like that although when growing the orientation is up and down. Wayne illustrates an older bullrush pushed over. Give it a bit more time and the hotdog shaped part will disperse as perhaps millions of tiny seeds - each one with a little fibre to help it be carried in a marsh breeze. The 'hotdog' as shown would be the texture of velvet. The fibres it is comprised of are known as 'kapook' and it is the traditional filling for life jackets. You know those old keyhole life jackets? - Well they are full of bullrush fibre.

Furthermore, you can eat the tubor root of the bullrush. Apparently it tastes very much like potato. (You boil or roast them).

Thanks Wayne! If you hadn't posted the image I very likely [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] wouldn't have shared this trivia!

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>
    IP

What a soft, pretty picture. We have them on our dam, we just call them reeds. Lovely painting Wayne..
    IP

Hi Wayne,
    Nice cold colours, I like the effect of looking up into a very chilly looking sky. Overall a very nostagic feeling.

thelonious
    IP

Very nice image, I like the watercolor look (feeling) I get from the image. But I must ask, being a southern redneck, that those bullrushes look just like what we call Cattails.

--Randy
    IP

Thanks for your help and comments.

Yes bullrushes and cattails are the same. I just used "Bullrushes" as it seemed more fitting at posting.
    I look forward to posting more art in the near future. You have all been very kind and helpful.

Much of what you see in my painting is what I call happy accidents. The trick is to know ahead of time the paint effect that I want and be able to repeat it without a high degree of frustration.
    I am finding that the controls "Size - Opacity and Grain" plus the "Brushes Popup" options are becoming more familiar as well. It's kinda like my Math teacher said "Use It or Lose It".

My hangup is getting to understand floaters/layers enough to be able to do initial washes and then detailing when the subject has been laid in.
    If anyone wants a project - they could take on getting floaters/layers simplified. I've read Jinny Brown's Tut's but this thick head hasn't captured the process yet. Sooo I continue working on one layer, understanding that Watercolor has a Wet layer function. HELP!

Respects to All

Wayne D
    IP

Wayne,

thanks for clearing that up about the cattails. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Much of what you see in my painting is what I call happy accidents. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] more power to you. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I get those alot. but I think it is always better to tell you specifically what I like [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] In case it is something you can duplicate.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The trick is to know ahead of time the paint effect that I want and be able to repeat it without a high degree of frustration. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL (laugh out loud) said like a true computer graphics user. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Randy,
    Umm I'm from The South too. Thats what we used to call them as kids also. I figured I was just being a dumb kid. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] heh, maybe we weren't so dumb after all [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I even thought that there might be plant just like the bullrushes that are called cattails. Ahhh the beauty of dialect.

Athena

PS: Ross

I really enjoyed the trivia on the bullrushes. I love learning little things like that. Thank you for telling us. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Whew! Glad they are the same. I was almost to afraid to ask.

Athena, I have a bunch of these in my Koi pond. I know that Wanye’s painting
    Looked just like what I have in my pond. So I am glad to hear, I was calling my
    Plants by the wrong name.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

--Randy
    IP