Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I need to convert digital camera images to B&W for offset printing. Should I use a plug-in to do this, and which one? Or should I use the procedure I found in the FAQ section?
    IP

I need to convert digital camera images to B&W for offset printing. Should I use a plug-in to do this, and which one? Or should I use the procedure I found in the FAQ section?
    IP

not sure why you would want to use a plug in when you should be able to use native PS to do this.

Not sure which FAQ your referring too?

The methods I know off are

1. IMAGE--ADJUST--CHANNEL MIXER (check 'monochrome') adjust sliders to taste

2. IMAGE--ADJUST--HUE/SAT, reduce the sat slider to zero

3. IMAGE--ADJUST--GRAYSCALE, not very controllable and reduces your doc to a single channel.

4. Potentially use of your original channels, copy it and paste it to a new layer and tweak using levels or curves.

Lots of methods to play with! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] each having their own merits and drawbacks.

If you have multiple iamges to deal with, you will also consider using an action in combination with the AUTOMATE--BATCH feature to process many images.

hope that helps

~Vp~
    ~Vp~
    IP

Get the book Professional Photoshop (5-6-7) The Classic Guide To Color Correction. The method in that book is the best. This is a great book, and you will never adjust brightness, contrast, hue, saturation, or anything else the same, once you use the author's methods.

The quickie method. Convert image to Greyscale mode, and then Edit/Adjust/Curves. Click for a point right in the middle of the line on the graph, and a point on each side equidistant between the middle of the two end parts. Drag each of these three points right or left to get the lights, mediums and darks to look balanced, with enough contrast.

http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...&ul=1101906325 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Eye Site Web Design
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll
    IP

Use image/adjustments.../channel mixer, "monochrome" selected
    IP