Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I have created hundreds of nav bars using Xara, and recently the nav bars started creating extra space around themselves when I publish. I can't for the life of me figure out why it's doing this, and it's driving me nuts!!! For example, I just created a nav bar that was 125 x 355 (or something really close to that). I have a cell in a table that is roughly the exact same width/height. When I put the nav bar in the space alotted for, all looks find in front page. However, when I publish to the net, there is suddenly a bunch of space around the nav bar, causing it to make my website sized incorrectly. Does this happen to anyone else, anyone know how to fix this?

Okay, after some investigating I have found what is causing the problem... When you edit the navigation, you have the option of increasing the space between your menu items. I have increased that space so that the menu items aren't stacked on top of each other... but increasing that space for whatever reason widens my vertical navigation. Again, not in FrontPage view, only when it's published. I have tried setting the width of the cell to a fixed width, but that didn't help the problem. If I remove the spacing between the items, it goes back to its regular width... so I'm sure that is what is causing the problem... But there has to be a way to create space between items, without the opposite side widening too????? Anyone have any suggestions?

Angela

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nicmedia:
    Okay, after some investigating I have found what is causing the problem... When you edit the navigation, you have the option of increasing the space between your menu items. I have increased that space so that the menu items aren't stacked on top of each other... but increasing that space for whatever reason widens my vertical navigation. Again, not in FrontPage view, only when it's published. I have tried setting the width of the cell to a fixed width, but that didn't help the problem. If I remove the spacing between the items, it goes back to its regular width... so I'm sure that is what is causing the problem... But there has to be a way to create space between items, without the opposite side widening too????? Anyone have any suggestions?

Angela <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Frontpage, especially when using tables, does funny things with some graphics when they are put into a cell.

I would suggest first looking at the cell properties and make sure the cell is large enough; if it isn't the cell could affecting the table, and then that affects the cell. Adjust your table size, then make sure the cell falls within these boundaries and doesn't overlap other cells. Also try adjusting the position of the object within the cell, if you set it to centre, you must set the other value to default.

Another thing that may be causing it, in fact I think is likely, is that the navbar has a shadow that is only partly visible, but the portion that is at the egdes is causing the graphic to literally creat a white space. Is the white space on one side and either bottom or top and did you add a shadow? If so it's likely the problem.

Another problem is that it may need the paragraph size adjusting. Highlight all objects within the cell, including text, and click from the menu; Format-Paragraph, then adjust the spacing, Before and After, to 0. That's worth a try too.

Other than that, do you have an URL?

The URL is http://dave.resultswebconcepts.com. You'll notice that the mouseover box isn't touching the left/right sides... it should be! The cell is set to a width of 124, and in Webstyle it says the nav is 124... but when published, for some reason that tales turns to 142 px wide. If I don't increase the spacing between the buttons (from within Webstyle), then it publishes perfect... but I don't want the buttons so close together. Everytime I increase the spacing (which right now is increased by 9), it somehow increases the width of the table in my website?????

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nicmedia:
    The URL is http://dave.resultswebconcepts.com. You'll notice that the mouseover box isn't touching the left/right sides... it should be! The cell is set to a width of 124, and in Webstyle it says the nav is 124... but when published, for some reason that tales turns to 142 px wide. If I don't increase the spacing between the buttons (from within Webstyle), then it publishes perfect... but I don't want the buttons so close together. Everytime I increase the spacing (which right now is increased by 9), it somehow increases the width of the table in my website????? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've had a look at the html and your size is right in relation to the table size, but, have you taken into account the border? The code says the border is set at 0, but you have a border colour. You have four borders to take into account that are coloured orange and this may be putting the whole out of whack.

Other than that it looks fine size wise.

If the border was putting it out of whack, wouldn't it also do that when I didn't apply spacing between the buttons? When I dont have spacing, it publishes just fine. It's only when I apply the spacing between the buttons that I get the problem... and because of that I'm thinking it has something to do w/ the software, and not my table/cell borders. Make sense?

Angela

If the border was putting it out of whack, wouldn't it also do that when I didn't apply spacing between the buttons? When I dont have spacing, it publishes just fine. It's only when I apply the spacing between the buttons that I get the problem... and because of that I'm thinking it has something to do w/ the software, and not my table/cell borders. Make sense?

Angela <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Makes perfect sense http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Which is why I think I have to agree it's the software. As I said, your code looks fine with regards the table and sizes all tally.

Well, I too think it's the sofware... and now I'm waiting on a reply from Xara. I emailed them yesterday BEFORE I posted my message here, and I still have not gotten a reply back from them. I read alot of posts that talked about their lack of customer service... and I didn't think too much of it, but now I'm really starting to see that they take way too long to get back to you! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Angela

Thanks for all your help though, I really appreciate you taking the time to look at my code!

Angela

Hi Angela,

Just a thought. Have you by chance introduced a padding property to a td element in your style sheet? I did this the other day and it space around every button in my navbar.

Don