Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: zero is not "0"

What I see is an object and a line (border). You can draw an object to dimension, and position it. If it has some line width value, the corner will be at 0,0, but the other corner will be off a little due to the width. I think you could draw an object with the line width set to zero, and position it to 0,0 and have a defined size. Try changing line width, and see the effect. Rich

i hope U understand what i mean.
    thank u all
    ;-)

reinhard

PS: don't care the rose.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Right click on guide lines > properties > enter 0 value > drag to center point.

Ich bin ein New Yorker
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zero.png 
Views:	374 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	10842  
    "If you can do good, you should."
    W.K. Clark

here's the .xar of that png file

Ich bin ein New Yorker
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "If you can do good, you should."
    W.K. Clark

So it was the guide lines that were off of 0.

Cant see why typing in the X and Y properties wouldn't be just as easy and probably quicker if you need this sort of accuracy.

Thanks Grant hadn't found the guidelines properties before this - very useful.

Christine
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

Yes I've come across this problem when I need to set the origin point to an existing guideline or object.

What I usually do is to drag the origin point to the object/guideline using the 'snap to' properties to get it as close as possible. Then I go into file - Page Options - Grid and Ruler and then manually change the origin point values, however much it is out by. It's a bit fiddly but it works.

But I had another look and noticed that if a guideline or object has an x and y value of whole pixels then the origin point snaps exactly to it. If I have a square which has an x value of say 234.5pix and y value of 345.5pix then the origin point is usually out by 0.5pix on both axis. Looks like the drag origin point function maybe has a problem with division of units.

What I would suggest is to change your units to pixels (works better than centimetres and you can always change it back) and adjust your object/guidelines slightly so they have x/y values of whole pixels. See if that works a bit better. A couple of times when I tested it, it was out by a pixel, but I think that is because snapping two axis at once is trickier than just one.

Anyway hope this helps.

Regards

Su
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

first:
    i' doin carpet design and i always work with centimeters with a scalingfactor 1:15 ~ 1:50
    so using points is not possilble an i dont want to change the units several times !!??!?!!

more worse:
    Xara 2 did not has this problem AND
    if i remember correct even the second trial version of XaraX (aa ?) didn't!!!

and sorry, right click on the guides, is rubbish.
    if it snaps, it has to snap exactly.

disappointet
    reinhard
    ;-)

BTW a friend of mine works in big fashion company
    and the only reason why they dont buy XaraX is this inaccurate working.
    so they bought freehand.

They are snapping exactly to the guide lines - it is the guide lines that have not been positioned at 0. The only way to check the exact position of the guide lines is to go into guidelines properties. The position is not relative to the guideline it is relative to zero.

Again I would say that if you need this accuracy of position it would be better to type the position in the box.

Christine
    Christine

hi Christine,
    in the my test file i wrote that u please drop
    the zero point to the guides.

this is not working.
    for example, if u draw a rectangel and want the zero point to the bottom corner.
    it's no zero.

and i can't move all of the picture just
    fore the zero point !!!
    ;-)
    reinhard

But only if the rectangle starts at a whole pixel and not a fraction of a pixel.

There was some misunderstanding - so I apologise.

I personally would not expect to set the zero point after doing a drawing - it is something that really should be set at the start.

You can select the whole drawing and move it by the required amount, with all objects selected just move the X or Y value by the required amount, you would not have to do it object by object.

Christine
    Christine