Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Check out this site:
    http://searchenginewatch.com/webmasters/intro.html
    And make sure you know the difference between directories (Yahoo!, OpenSource, etc.) and search engines (Google, Alta Vista, Lycos, etc.).

Major differences:
    Directory- somebody, yes, a person, actually will visit and evaluate your site, then decide if you get listed.

Search engine- software (known as bots, crawlers, spiders, etc.) is used to visit sites, follow their links, look for meta tags, etc. Some don't even pay attention to keywords listed in the meta tags (Google, for instance) because that technique has been abused. For good tips on optimizing for search engines, use the link above and read as much as you can.

This has become a seperate industry almost. In fact, I am considering doing a bit more research and then going into the Search Engine Marketing business. It can be a full time job!

Gary V.
    The more I learn, the more ignorant I feel!
    "I'm not an artist, but I play one on the internet!"
    IP

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Turan - I think the advice above is good. Michael's recommendation to focus on the Open Directory Project is IMHO particularly good. It is a great way to find your site included in many search engines/directories. Explore the open directory project and see what catagories are relevant for submissions of your site.

I wouldn't pay for any submission services and as Gary notes you have to be really careful with any free submission services. Also stay away from "classified listings". Very-very few people ever look at such pages. If you have the cash get some postcard size mini-brochures printed and post them on local bulletin boards etc. You'll likely find such advertising in your own backyard more effective use of limited advertising dollars.

When you submit to directories/search engines be very thoughtful about how you describe your site. Think about who you want to attract, and descibe the site to interest them. If asked for keywords be quite specific to your site's content.

I note from visiting your site and checking your meta tags that you seem to put emphasis on "Northern Irland". I fail to see the significance of that. People searching for Northern Irland likely aren't your potential customers. I think your focus needs to be on the services you offer: as designers of illustrations, custom graphics, cartoons, web graphics, etc.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>
    IP

Since my site stats started to include 'search strings', I've become fascinated by the diverse ways through which people actually find my site. Sometimes I think it must be a terrible disappointment to them when a link to me turns up in their search engine — and sometimes I know they'll have found exactly what they were looking for — but it's certainly an eye-opener as far as real life (not always efficient) search techniques are concerned. (Sometimes I'll even try the same search in disbelief...) All in all, the search strings have become one of my favourite parts of the site stats, and I'd thoroughly recommend anyone with access to this information for their own site(s) to take a good look at it!

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>
    IP

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Turan - One more thing: I just noticed that all your pages have the same meta tags. I'd strongly suggest altering them to suit the content of the particular pages. It will help you if you, for instance, want to submit the cartooning page to the Open Directory Project in an appropriate category whilst the web design page is submitted to it's category. Note that most directories won't allow you to submit the same page (ie your site's 'home' page)to multiple categories.

Yahoo's reviewers seems to think a site should be about one thing only. As a result they reject most of what is submitted to them. The Open Directory Project is like a backdoor into Yahoo potentially allowing the various parts of your site to show up in relevant searches in Yahoo (and many other search engines).

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>
    IP

Ross, as I read I was begining to realise that I should not just stick the same tags on each page. Previously as I want to get people to my whole site, I wanted to say web design on the cartoon page and cartoon on the web design page etc. But I'll change that.

As for the Northern Ireland bit, I know I'll get hammered by all, but I feel more confortable doing face-to-face (anit-internet I know) bussiness. Sitting and talking tothe customers, getting a signed contract while there rather than hearing that it is in the post. Maybe once I have a bigger customer base and hence a bigger live portfolio I will venture further.

Turan
    IP