Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi

After taking the plunge and upgrading, I'm raring to go and have a problem at the outset.

I've started a project based on a web site page template. I've saved it now and I've edited some bits of it and they have been saved.

The two things I can't get saved are the headings at the top of the template.

The other being a graphic I want to replace in the left hand column. Obviously you should be able to do this as Logo's are key to the look of a webpage.

Surely I can do this. I've changed the text in the left column with no problem.

Robert

Hi

After taking the plunge and upgrading, I'm raring to go and have a problem at the outset.

I've started a project based on a web site page template. I've saved it now and I've edited some bits of it and they have been saved.

The two things I can't get saved are the headings at the top of the template.

The other being a graphic I want to replace in the left hand column. Obviously you should be able to do this as Logo's are key to the look of a webpage.

Surely I can do this. I've changed the text in the left column with no problem.

Robert

Being as it wouldn't let me edit, I'll post again...

Found out most of this except that I can't change the image in the left hand column. It always comes up as text when I want to edit it.

Crazy!!!

TRying again.

I'm getting the impression that now I've paid, no one cares.

Sorry to be bumping this but surely someone has a clue about this.

I'd really appreciate some help please.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by toprobroy:
    TRying again.

I'm getting the impression that now I've paid, no one cares.

Sorry to be bumping this but surely someone has a clue about this.

I'd really appreciate some help please.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

PLease let us know which template you selected and which layout within the template. Additionally provide a url where the problem can be viewed so we can assist you

I had the same situation where I couln't see the top part of the template on the site. Although I could see it on the preview tab of FrontPage 2003 when I published to the web it just wasn't there.
    I asked support for help but never gpt a reply but that was oaky because it forced me to figure it out myself.
    I could clearly remember when I created the page in question (as with you) I couldn't remember if I saved it to the right project folder and vaguely in the back of my might I remember that I didn't and that was where my problem was.
    When I did do that new page I saved it to another project so that meant the the page and the page file screated with WS4 went into a different project and when published to the web the server couldn't find the info it needed.

I did delete the page in WS4 and created it again but the same thing happened. So after about 3 hours of doing this and doing that I took a break from the keyboard and thought about how the error could have occured.

WS4 is a very smart program but you have to be careful where you arre saving new pages to and you want to pay particular attention that you save them to the right project.

So here is what I did.

1. I deleted the page in question from WS4
    2. I lookwed in what other project I may have saved that page and its files.
    3. I found in that other project the html page and the page files (make sure you delete page - also on the server too)
    4. I then went back into WS4 and recreated the page, published it to the web (make sure you delete those to file sfirst from the web before publising new) and presto it was fixed.

As for support they are rather good at getting back to you although they must be busy. I'm a advanced web master and computer dude and I must say this program did and still does have it's challenges. It's a great program and works well with FP2003 - if somethings wrong its usually something I have done.

Hope this helps

Thanks for some input guys. Really appreciated.
    Hopefully I can make some more progress.

If you visit. http://www.sarana.info/index.html

Then my first question is how do I get the drop down menu page to work. "About Enfys". If I want that to go to another page with this design, (I might change the colours) how do I get it to show up.

Sorry if its a bit basic question.

I've made another "page" as I understand it, or it might be a "project"... and I've saved it in the same Project but called it "aboutenfys". That has gone and stored itself in another folder called "aboutenfys_files" The previous one was in a folder called "index_files". In the root directory now I have two files index.htm and aboutenfys.htm.

My Second Question is about the Logo on the left with the Four Houses on it, where it says Enfys Furniture. I want to put my Logo in there. I can't figure it out.

Thanks

[This message was edited by toprobroy on December 03, 2003 at 12:29.]

Sorry again, but I guess its difficult to be on here at the same time as someone is helping.

Help Please

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you visit. http://www.sarana.info/index.html

Then my first question is how do I get the drop down menu page to work. "About Enfys". If I want that to go to another page with this design, (I might change the colours) how do I get it to show up.

Sorry if its a bit basic question.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Open Webstyle and select web pages.
    Select the radio button labelled 'saved'
    Click on the project folder containing the template used for index.html
    Click on the navbar in the page to be directed to the navbar editor
    Select the menus button
    enter the url that each button should link to within the url field associated with each button and menu.
    Select the save button followed by the save graphic button to be directed back to the web page layout
    select the save button followed by save web page and save the web page back to the original location where you saved the index.html page causing the existing index.html page to be overwritten

upload the web page again to your server along with the folder named index_files

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    I've made another "page" as I understand it, or it might be a "project"... and I've saved it in the same Project but called it "aboutenfys". That has gone and stored itself in another folder called "aboutenfys_files" The previous one was in a folder called "index_files". In the root directory now I have two files index.htm and aboutenfys.htm.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is correct. These are not project files!! Each time you save a web page a folder is also created where all the graphics associated with the web page are saved. So when you created a page named index, a folder named index_files was created and stored in the same destination folder as where index.html was saved. likewise when you created your second page aboutenfys a folder named aboutenfys_files was created storing the graphics associated with the web page.

Therefore you would upload index.html, aboutenfys.html aboutenfys_files and indoex_files to your server. The files folders contain the graphics that are referenced by the web pages. These are NOT project folders.

When you create a web page from webstyle ( or any element type) you initially select from a template. You then make your edits and save the chnages. This causes the graphics , javascript files and html file to be exported to your selected location and the original template you selected along with edits you have made to it is stored in your selected project folder. This allows you to use the edited template as the base for another design or allow you to easily re-edit the current design by reloading the template from the project folder.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    My Second Question is about the Logo on the left with the Four Houses on it, where it says Enfys Furniture. I want to put my Logo in there. I can't figure it out.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The logo is part of the layout design. Webstyle will allow you to chnage the text, and replace the logo with another logo template.

I suspect you use FrontPage to edit your web pages. So from the normal mode of frontpage, click on the logo and delete it and then insert your own logo/image into the web page. Ensure it is of the same width and height as the current logo so the page layout is not alered

[This message was edited by toprobroy on December 03, 2003 at 12:29.]

Thanks for this. Its clarified a lot more for me now and I've made a couple of changes which work as you said. I don't use Frontpage though. I use CuteSite Builder by Globalscape, although with Webstyle I might use Coffee Cup or something which I also have.

Regarding the text, I suppose its just as easy to add it in notepad. There is no other way is there to add or change the text in Webstyle.

Thanks again.