Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have four separate lines, 2 parallels, 1 half-circle (obtained from a circle cut with a vertical line - with menu 'Arrange/Combine/Cut') and a slanted line.
    I want to create a closed shape with one rounded end.

All lines are placed as needed. I select all my lines and I want now to create one shape in order to fill it with one flat color.

I have tried several combinations of 'Arrange/Group', 'Arrange/Join' or 'Arrange/combine' and I never obtain a 'fillable' shape.

Sure I'm wrong, but where ?

Thanks for your help.

[This message was edited by HopeFull on May 29, 2001 at 06:16.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sample.gif 
Views:	446 
Size:	2.5 KB 
ID:	12618  

I have four separate lines, 2 parallels, 1 half-circle (obtained from a circle cut with a vertical line - with menu 'Arrange/Combine/Cut') and a slanted line.
    I want to create a closed shape with one rounded end.

All lines are placed as needed. I select all my lines and I want now to create one shape in order to fill it with one flat color.

I have tried several combinations of 'Arrange/Group', 'Arrange/Join' or 'Arrange/combine' and I never obtain a 'fillable' shape.

Sure I'm wrong, but where ?

Thanks for your help.

[This message was edited by HopeFull on May 29, 2001 at 06:16.]

This is one way of doing it. I didn't know if you want that slanted diagonal line in your final image, so I used the clone function. If don't want that line, just skip the cloning step and slice with the original line instead (it will disappear after teh slicing).

-Paul

Name:	www_tut_shape.gif 
Views:	427 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	18344  
    Paul the Gnurfmeister!
    Home: http://www.gnurf.net/v3/ | My stuff for sale: http://www.zazzle.com/gnurf* | Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pasoderholm

Yes, this way, I may obtain what I need (and it works fine !).
    But my problem is that I need several copies of my shape with various lengthes, depending on the length of a text inside.

If I use a shape created as you explain, when resized, the round end is no more round.

So, I wanted to build all shapes with separate elements and, before creating each shape by assembling elements, just change the size of the parallel lines.

If you use the auto-stretching available from the name gallery you would not need to have various lengths it would stretch the button dependent on the width of the text.
    This all happens automatically if you create them as buttons in the NavBar tool.

Mark Goodall
    Xara Ltd

Name:	Buttons.gif 
Views:	404 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	7104  

Hello,,,
    This is a "vector" program. NODES are the basis of vector lines. Got to get a real handle on nodes to draw (joining, adding, types, etc.).

Admittedly, Xara is much more than Corel3, but a bezier curve is still what it was. I think Gary already covered drawing in the Xealot.

Regards,,,,,,,,Tad

Thanks for the info about autostretch buttons.
    I'll investigate and try to understand how I can use this feature (as a beginner, I'm not familiar with navbar and name gallery).

Thanks again.

Another alternative method which you may find easier is given below.
    Egg

Name:	!!nodes.gif 
Views:	336 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	4698  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

NODES RULE !!
    The "simple" answer is to connect the lines and fill the shape.
    Although I must admit that Xara seems a node short (symmetrical, that is), "I" still think it is the "proper" way to draw.
    Hmmmmmmmm,,,,I do believe I hear howls of disagreement....
    Regards..........Tad.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I agree with Tad and Egg. The bottom line is GET TO KNOW THE NODE EDITING FUNCTIONS. Its probably a dry (boring)topic for most people, but do take the time to read every you can kind find about it in the Help Files.

Then, take various shapes (convert them to editable objects) and curves and select node with the Shape Editor tool and experiment applying the options available in in the Info Bar for the Shape Editor to the selected nodes.

You'll be surprised by the amount of control you can have in modifying objects.