1 33.33%
  • guillotine

0 0%
  • turn off life support

2 66.67%
  • er... that's it.

0 0%

Thread: Painter Forum

This forum should be put out of its misery.
    IP

This forum should be put out of its misery.
    IP

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

It seems pretty obvious to me that the moderator of this forum has absolutely no interest or time for the forum.

Every other forum at Talkgraphics moderator's have attempted to stimulate their respective forums.

The only one who really responds to questions and posts is Jinny, who is actively and probably sucessful at taking everyone over to the idd forum.

Personally I am much more comfortable with the format of Talkgraphics, but that is just me.

Off of soap box,
    Judi

My Stuff
    IP

Judi,

Hi.. While it may seem that I try to take people away from here, that's not my intention at all.

In fact, I used to spend a good deal of time here until it became pretty clear that there was little or no interest on the part of the moderator in keeping the group going (as you said), and so few posts it was hardly worth the time to stop by and see what was going on. Nothing was.

Wherever I go in the Painter community.. and that includes reading and posting to nearly all of the Painter forums, e-mail lists, and newsgroups on a daily basis, I let people know about the other Painter meeting places. The reason I do this is that a lot of people enjoy and learn best by having a wider exposure than they would in a single location. This is especially helpful when a Painter user is having technical problems and the more exposure their question gets, the faster it can be answered.. and often more accurately.

I don't think there's any reason for someone to join another group and drop one they already enjoy. They can, if they want to, join as many groups as they have interest in and time for.

Bottom line is.. I can't take anyone anywhere. If I tell people about IDD, or any other Painter group, and they visit.. then enjoy it and want stay.. that's up to them. If they don't like it there as much as another place.. that's also up to them.

Any good group welcomes new members and it's unfortunate that this forum is not attended to with more interest and enthusiasm. Those of you who enjoy it deserve better.

However.. it's generally the members who really make a group what it is.. so maybe you and a few others could begin stirring up some neat things to do. I'll bet people who only read the messages would feel more like participating.. if there was something to participate in (bad grammar.. but you know what I mean.

Back when I first joined this forum.. and for a long while afterward, I participated a lot.. wrote tutorials.. etc. .. spent a lot of time. It wasn't my place to change this forum, though, so I finally just quit.

If there's something I can do to help make this place more fun.. let me know. It would be great to see it alive again.. more alive than it ever was.

In the meantime.. I just check in now and then.. and hope that things will pick up here.

The more places there are for Painter users to gather, the better. That way, everyone can find the place, or places, where they feel most comfortable and have the best learning and sharing experience.

By the way, TalkGraphics Painter Forum is listed on my site, right there with all of the other Painter lists, forums, and newsgroups so people who visit my site can learn about them. It has been since I first found TalkGraphics and set up the list.. which is probably 2 or 3 years now.. not sure really.. but it's been a while.

Jinny Brown

PixelAlley's Section Links: http://www.pixelalley.com/pixelalley...ons-pages.html
    (Painter 5 and 6 tutorials, Painter 7 info, tutorials, PDF downloads, brushes)
    Painter Forum at In Depth Discussions: http://www.critical-depth.com/cgi-bin/idd/

[This message was edited by Jinny Brown on April 16, 2002 at 00:06.]
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

As it goes, Painter is not a really interesting program. It has an excellent paint engine but that's about it.

For an example of one of the best forums on the net check out this ZBrush forum.

ZBrush is a 3D 2D and has 2.5D paint tools that are unique. A free demo is available here

This program has the ability to download a .txt file and run as a script and have a tutorial unfold before your very eyes.
    IP

Hey
    If you`re complaining that nobody ever replies to the posts on this forum, then surely the answer is obvious - reply to them yourself and stop moaning.

Kevin Inskip (alias bigbloke)
    IP

Well, I have very little experience with Painter (Painter Classic came with my Graphire tablet), but from the little I've experimented with it on the image attached, I think it has a lot of potential--and if you've got it, why not use it! The most important "tool" you've got is your own imagination/creativity and from there you can create much with even the simplest "tools"---it isn't fancy added gimicks that make the difference. What's wrong with this forum??? It's just a place people can exchange ideas and art and help each other...just like the others...so, with whomever is left, why not get posting!!! Don't let negetivity take over---that would surely drive others away!
    Just some thoughts...
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	annashum.JPG 
Views:	505 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	991  
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain
    IP

Maya,

That's a lovely little painting, and if it's among your first attempts with Painter Classic, I'd say you're going to create some really nice work with it.

Thanks for sharing your hummingbird and flowers.

All it takes is curiosity, willingness, and practice, to make Painter work for you.. and to enjoy it in the process. (A touch of talent doesn't hurt either.) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jinny Brown

PixelAlley's Section Links: http://www.pixelalley.com/pixelalley...ons-pages.html
    Painter Forum at In Depth Discussions: http://www.critical-depth.com/cgi-bin/idd/
    IP

That's the spirit that makes the difference. I'd love to see more of what these members do with painter and how they produce their styles and techniques.
    We have an idea going over in the Xara Gallery about posting a forum-wide challenge of a symbol of renewal--the mythological phoenix--the idea is to create one with your program of choice in any style or version which you like. It would be so cool to see all the different varieties and versions people can use their imagination and come up with. It translates well into logo and abstract techniques--anything goes. There is already a posting in the Gallery and one in the Xara Gallery (info on the symbolism, origin,etc. can be found on pg 2 of the "Brandon Lee" thread in the Xara Gallery if anyone is interested).
    Hope to see people give it a shot! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain
    IP

Maya,

How about posting your message in a new thread.. inviting people to join the challenge. That's a great idea and more people would see it that way.

That's the spirit! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Jinny Brown

IP