Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I'm having a lousy evening! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Got the machine fixed tonight - upgraded to Windows XP Home.

Everything went brilliantly until I installed Roxio CD burning SW. It was not compatible with XP so I uninstalled it - but it obviously removed more than it should have as I lost both my CD drives. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

As far as I can tell the following file should not have been removed:

cdralw2k.sys (windows/systems32 - folder.)

If anyone is running Windows XP Home - could you please send me the file? (risto@ristoklint.com). Should it be enough to restore the file to get my CD drive back? (If it was the only file removed?) I want my Xara X installed!

Yeah, I registered a new account... I forgot the password AND my ISP are having problems with their servers so I can't retrieve the reminder. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Time to switch to Mac... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Please help.

Risto

I'm having a lousy evening! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Got the machine fixed tonight - upgraded to Windows XP Home.

Everything went brilliantly until I installed Roxio CD burning SW. It was not compatible with XP so I uninstalled it - but it obviously removed more than it should have as I lost both my CD drives. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

As far as I can tell the following file should not have been removed:

cdralw2k.sys (windows/systems32 - folder.)

If anyone is running Windows XP Home - could you please send me the file? (risto@ristoklint.com). Should it be enough to restore the file to get my CD drive back? (If it was the only file removed?) I want my Xara X installed!

Yeah, I registered a new account... I forgot the password AND my ISP are having problems with their servers so I can't retrieve the reminder. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Time to switch to Mac... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Please help.

Risto

Hi Risto,

sorry to hear all that.

I don't have XP nor the .sys file.
    But shouldn't the CD-drive sort of self-install on bootup ??
    Or goto the Hardware Manager, remove the drive(s) from there and boot again.
    On Win2K it would then install itself from scratch, maybe not with the latest drivers but still working ..

Some suggestions for your forgotten login/password as well: squirrel, viking, untrustworthy [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

http://www.yump.com/images/wolfgang_run.gif

sorry, but i thing U have downgrade to XP.
    and the userrights are something between
    Big Brother and DDR.
    At my school we just decided not to use
    XP because of this.

Or is there a special reason to use XP?

You should better take Win2000 pro,
    there smaller risk

greetz
    rs

That stupid file is from Roxio. It is a known problem: http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;q314060&

I just wish there was another way to resolve this... anyone any ideas?

Wolfgang - Yup, that's the way it should work... but it doesn't... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Znd - I got posessed by a squirrell and he made me do it... "Why" does not matter, it is the way it *IS*, and have to be for now. I don't need a sales pitch - I use both OS.

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!

When I went through the nightmare of trying to upgrade to Win 2000 Pro, one of the biggest headaches was trying to upgrade Roxio's Easy CD Maker.

I upgraded to the 5.0 version, had tons of trouble, and then did a search on the web and found from users that Roxio's Easy CD Maker has taken a terrible downturn in quality in the last few versions. (I always made more coasters than CDs anyway with version 3.)

I ended up uninstalling version 5.0.

I would advise you to go with another CD burner.

http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...&ul=1101906325 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Eye Site Web Design
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

Hi Risto,
    I too have recently upgraded to XP and had problems with Roxio. I ultimately had to re-purchase Roxio because my earlier version - which had shopped with ME - simply would not work. I looked on my system for the file you mentioned earlier and it I don't have it...at least not in WINDOWS/System32 folder. Although I love XP (but in comparison to ME, who wouldn't?) and never crash anymore, I am now experiencing boot-up problems...hope you don't get those, too! Wish I could help...

At this point I do not care about the CD Burner SW... I just want to get the CD drive back. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Never, ever, will I go near Roxio SW again. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

Did you lose you CD also? Did you do the registry editing thing to get it back?

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dale Landry:
    I would advise you to go with another CD burner.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why? The CD burner has nothing to do with this problem Dale. Roxio software is just causing too many problems (this is well known). There is a lot of cheap burner software that works without a glitch.

It was supposed to say windows/systems32/drivers folder...

Gaussian - by "CD burner" I'm sure that Dale was refering to the SW and not the HW. Just a little mis-understanding.

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!