Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hello Everybody,

Just thought that I would open up a discussion on the best flash learning resources. So far for myself I have found these books well worth purchasing.

Beginner
    Macromedia Flash For Windows
    and Macintosh 5 Visual
    Quickstart Guide
    Katherine Ulrich
    Good resource. Step by step with plenty of screenshots.

Borrowed from library. Very Beginner(micro-micro walks you through *everything*)
    How To Do Everything with
    Macromedia Flash 5
    Bonnie Blake

Beginner
    Flash five virtual classroom
    doug sirhan
    Includes nice training cd
    with video tutorials of exactly where to click.

Intermediate
    Macromedia Flash 5: Training
    from the Source
    build a complex flash website. I'm only half way through. Teaches you a lot. Tricky and very time consuming.

Also see the Virtual Training Company.
    http://www.vtc.com/vtconlinetryfree.lasso
    You must download "Quicktime" to view the video tutorials but it is definitely worth it. You can try for free . I signed up for the $25 a month deal. For that you have unlimited access to all their training video's including photoshop, dreamweaver, fireworks, and of course flash plus doezens of other graphics programs. You can cancel at any time. Only downside is you must be on the Internet to view the lessons.

I've heard that Linda Weinman's "Hands on Training" series of books are good. I'm a little too advanced for her flash book but she also makes an intermediate flash CD that walks you through every step to making a complex flash website. Similar to what macromedia's book does, but Wienman's CD gives you the great benefit of the video tutorials.
    http://www.lynda.com (the site was down when I tried it)

Has anybody purchased this CD or do they know anything about it? It is very expensive at $249.00. If you have heard anything please post the info.

Thanks. Gavin.
    . [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] s
    IP

Hello Everybody,

Just thought that I would open up a discussion on the best flash learning resources. So far for myself I have found these books well worth purchasing.

Beginner
    Macromedia Flash For Windows
    and Macintosh 5 Visual
    Quickstart Guide
    Katherine Ulrich
    Good resource. Step by step with plenty of screenshots.

Borrowed from library. Very Beginner(micro-micro walks you through *everything*)
    How To Do Everything with
    Macromedia Flash 5
    Bonnie Blake

Beginner
    Flash five virtual classroom
    doug sirhan
    Includes nice training cd
    with video tutorials of exactly where to click.

Intermediate
    Macromedia Flash 5: Training
    from the Source
    build a complex flash website. I'm only half way through. Teaches you a lot. Tricky and very time consuming.

Also see the Virtual Training Company.
    http://www.vtc.com/vtconlinetryfree.lasso
    You must download "Quicktime" to view the video tutorials but it is definitely worth it. You can try for free . I signed up for the $25 a month deal. For that you have unlimited access to all their training video's including photoshop, dreamweaver, fireworks, and of course flash plus doezens of other graphics programs. You can cancel at any time. Only downside is you must be on the Internet to view the lessons.

I've heard that Linda Weinman's "Hands on Training" series of books are good. I'm a little too advanced for her flash book but she also makes an intermediate flash CD that walks you through every step to making a complex flash website. Similar to what macromedia's book does, but Wienman's CD gives you the great benefit of the video tutorials.
    http://www.lynda.com (the site was down when I tried it)

Has anybody purchased this CD or do they know anything about it? It is very expensive at $249.00. If you have heard anything please post the info.

Thanks. Gavin.
    . [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] s
    IP

I bought Foundation Flash 5; Word to the wise: It sucks! I wouldn't buy it. The wording sucks.
    IP

I am new to Flash, and am using Lynda Weinman's basic book (HOT Hands-on Training for Flash 5), and it's going very well. I also used the HOT training for Photoshop and Dreamweaver, and am completely sold on these books as beginning tutorials. I don't know what I will turn to for more advanced Flash training.

I find the Peachpit Quickstart Guides to be my best second references, generally, for a variety of subjects - HTML, DHTML/CSS, Javascript, Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, and Flash.

I had already learned Swish a few months ago, which has made my Flash training much faster, since I had already learned the basic concepts of Timeline, etc.

IP

Some great web resources:
    www.flashkit.com
    www.were-here.com

For those interested in Character Animation for Flash:
    http://www.studiowhiz.com/_boards/fo...?s=&forumid=22
    IP

A very good books that gets you started is "Flash 5 Creative Web Animation" by Derek Franklin. The books also comes with a CD including movie tutorials and explains everything you need to know to create, check and publish your movies.

"Foundation PHP for Flash" is also a very good book. The homepage can be found at phpforflash.com

Besides flashkit and were-here, there are also:

actionscripts.org
    ultrashock.com
    cbtcafe.com
    IP