Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I was very impressed with these birds when working at a wildlife rehabilitation center...
    acrylic on canvas

http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...&ul=3001938225

[This message was edited by Crow Haven on September 12, 2002 at 10:19.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	peregrines1a.jpg 
Views:	470 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	8327  
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

I was very impressed with these birds when working at a wildlife rehabilitation center...
    acrylic on canvas

http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...&ul=3001938225

[This message was edited by Crow Haven on September 12, 2002 at 10:19.]
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

they look scarey! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Cool!

Something doesn't look quite right with the right wing of the flying falcon. The lighting on the wing seems to be off a little, and I get the impression that the wing is convex on the underside rather that a little concave.

I hope that makes sense.

http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...&ul=1101906325 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Eye Site Web Design
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

I was wondering when someone would mention that wing.....although it looks odd it is exactly according to a photo of the actual bird and its wing position. It's folded somewhat like an inverted "V" and swept back a bit so that you are not seeing the edges of the feather tips---the "point" which looks like a wing tip actually being where the bend goes away from you and only a bit of feathering (short small contour feather)is seen creating the illusion of the wing tip. The edge to the left also is not wing feather tips but slopes away from the viewer. It's odd, I know but as the wings on these birds are longer and narrower than a hawk they don't hold them the same way and can fold them up closer (essential for the stoop -dive- which gives them great speed). The other side of the wing along the wing (arm) bone is indeed not concave but rounded (convex) and small contour feathers would extend outwards in that area as on the other wing (arm/shoulder area). I studied a lot of pictures as well as the live birds. I'm not surprised the wing threw you, Dale... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    The colors are different than the painting---again my digital camera darkened and made for deeper shadows and brighter light areas.
    Thanks!
    ---Maya [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by Crow Haven on September 13, 2002 at 13:15.]
    -Mark Twain

Hey Maya!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I've seen birds landing before with that sort of wing shape, esp. more "muscular" birds (if that's what you want to call them) and esp. larger birds.

I love the fairly hidden one staring right into the camera. Shadowed but curious.

Don't birds like this actually nest in cliff areas like the one suggested here??

Have a good one!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Richard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

I appreciate your comments as always! These birds are quite muscular, also I will add that this was done for a master falconer who has in the past worked with these birds. Presently he keeps Red-tailed hawks---yes, these crow-sized falcons prefer cliffs for nesting...however, there are a few pairs in the Boston area I think I heard, which have made their homes on skyscrapers and feed on the local pigeon population. There is also a red-tailed hawk which has resided and raised young atop the brownstone apts in NY where Mary Tyler Moore and Woody Allen lives (a book was written about this unusual case)...this particular bird was hit by a truck in another area and survived but lost one eye...was rehabilitated and released, and although people doubted it would survive, well it did, and found a mate and is still successfully raising offspring! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] As I've worked with birds in such situations of injury, etc., I love it when such success occurs. The Peregrine has made a pretty good comeback from years ago when DDT was decimating them.
    Thanks again Richard!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    ---Maya [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    -Mark Twain