Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

What should I do to import sliced images of navigation buttons into my webpage?
    Thank you.
    P.S. Xara X was used to produce the images, FrontPage is used to create webpages.

What should I do to import sliced images of navigation buttons into my webpage?
    Thank you.
    P.S. Xara X was used to produce the images, FrontPage is used to create webpages.

Welcome to the Xara X Conference andkhl

When you create your buttons and backbar, Xara creates an HTML page and also creates a table to contain and position the sliced images.

I am not real familiar with FrontPage but I think the next step is to open the HTML page and copy the table elements from the Xara HTML document and paste them into your FrontPage HTML document. The sliced images also need to be in the same folder as your FrontPage document.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Xara's own website has a few hints on how to incoporate a Navbar (as created wholly by Xara X) into a Frontpage at http://www.xara.com/support/xarax/hints/navbars3f.asp

I only happened upon this page today by chance, but it should make interesting reading for you.

I usually make the graphics in Xara and use Dreamweaver to make the Navbars myself.

Xara have a whole section of hints on how to to some basic operations at http://www.xara.com/support/xarax/hints/ - are two pages specifically about slicing images (manually, not using the Navbar tool) which are here and here.

Hi,

1. Setting things up in FP
    I use FP 2000 and 2002 at work and do all my stuff in Xara for it. FrontPage is difficult to work with because it is not WYSIWYG when it comes to positioning. What I do is create my layout in Xara. Then export the whole layout and use it as a background (for the whole page or the table's background) to help me create the layout of tables and layout within tables.

If I really need to have absolute control, I use nested tables, which gets tedious and can drive you nuts if you change your images more than a few pixels. Splitting cells and merging them to get the desired layout can be hellacious. For this, I have found that either Dreamweaver or Fusion can convert layers to nested tables in their native interface. This helps me see how they nested their tables. In addition, you can import the table structure into FP right away and save some time. However, the tables can be unforgiving if you try to edit them in FP indefinitely.

Another little trick that DW and Fusion use that I've adopted in FP is a transparent spacer. They use a 1 by 1 pixel image. I use a 10 by 10 so I can resize manually and then tweak. It allows me to control column and cell width accurately without fear of it collapsing (as you know, FP's editor and preview mode suckand what looks good there bombs in the browser).

2. Exporting in slices. if you create the pages in FP from scratch, you can create invisible boxes over your all images (like a quilt of squares), export them and this gives you a nice round number for you to build you cell widths in your tables (right button click, cell properties, width, pixels). The same technique worked well when I was doing things in Netscape Gold 2.0.

Fusion says that it will generate the best HTML pages if you use consistent image widths, so the quilt of squares helps you keep this in mind when exporting for FP. Also, note HOR's "Exporting Image" topic on whole pixel increments. it will drive you nuts if you don't, especially if you export a whole quilt of images.

Hope this helps and good luck with Front Page.

Milt