Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

[rossyquote]...except these folks are obsessed with the StarWars series of movies.[/rossyquote]

I related it to StarTrek only because the Trekkie fans are so well known.

-- Ross

Hi All,

I recall a few months ago someone else being shot down in flames here for a similar message here !

Aren't you guys and girls just being a little precious... What happened to democracy and free speech ?

I mean it is essentially just information, no one is dragging you by the collar to participate !

Sure, talent should be rewarded, but some folk do like to give some of their time to other projects.....

And as for 'nothing if for free' stated by one participant - what about the many open source projects going on in internet/computer communities - every heard of Linux ?

I'm not wanting to rattle anyone's cages, just putting a different perspective on the thread.

just my 2cents.
    Dave Porter

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> And as for 'nothing if for free' stated by one participant <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The one participant does have a real name!

Linux? Sure, it's free, as long as you have lot's of knowledge on how to run it without purchasing a distribution. And a ready-to-go distribution costs around 80 to 140 US$. Did you know the IBM, Oracle, SUN, SuSE and others sponsor many Linux developers for their efforts? Did you research how the GNU licence scheme works? If so you would have noticed it's not that free... If you develop something with the free compilers, you have to publish your new development and code together with your source - free for free. However, if you develop on a SUN system or a commercial UNIX, you can charge whatever you want for your developement - nothing is for free in this case. Most professional applications are far from being free in the Linux world.

If i.e. IBM calls for a new app, they offer big bucks for the developers. This is the reality. So please dig a bit deeper before you post that everything with and in Linux is free. It is NOT.

If someone will develop something on his own and publish it for free, it is his own will. But if someone calls for entries to make a big thing it's another case.

Your way of thinking reminds me of a nice post I've seen in one of the Linux forums recently:

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism;
    to steal from many is research.

Think about it.

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Hi Jens,

Sorry about the name - when you post a reply, you have a blank slate and it's a pain to have to open another new page and navigate back to where you were and look up some info - it was nothing personal.

I feel you have missed the pertinent points - maybe the Linux example was not a perfect one....

The points about open discussion and freedom of expression are more my relevant issues....

regards, Dave P

Quote >>>>

Hey folks, what's going on here? Why are these guys and nobrainers flooding our forum with these annoying 'great-once-in-a-lifetime' offers?

Come on, leave us alone, don't waste our time with bullshit, ok? ! Either offer fair play AND pay or buzz off.

End Quote <<<<<

Another thing Jens - I just went back and re-read the whole thread and I don't think this sort of language and aggression is warranted....

If I was a potential new member of this forum this would put me off somewhat....

In these uncertain times I think a little more peace, understanding and serenity are in order...

Just another couple of cents worth http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Dave P.

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If I was a potential new member of this forum this would put me off somewhat....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess you would be smarter than Panicstuckpro: you would have posted in 3D graphics, not here, because 3D graphics it **the** place for CG, 3D animation and movies ;-}.

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Ok - I guess I'll just leave it at that !

Don't really see the relevance of that comment.

Best wishes - DaveP

...Reread the original post. Shane Felux is just pointing out that a group of fans is producing a 3D movie, and if your work is good enough you may join in. He goes on to say theres no money to be made.
    Can't we just leave it to individual members to make up their own minds should they wish to participate?
    I could understand all the fuss if this where a 'get rich quick' scam, but this clearly isn't, so this new member doesn't warrent the responses being given here.
    Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hey thanks for the support Egg! No it's no scam, no I am not getting rich off anything..quite the opposite..I figure we have spent about 18K for the making of Revelations..a fan film.. non-profit! Lucas owns the rights, but is kind enought to let film-makers play in his backyard. We were simply looking to add more talented CG artists to our crew, and let others be apart of what we are doing. So why do it? It's star wars, is a dream, it involves fans, industry professionals, and artists in a challenging project to explore and enjoy. It's fun. It also gets your work seen to thousands, and is a stepping stone to move on. It's networking, creative, and film making. Who knows what could happen next.
    But listen I seem to have stumbled in the nastiest forum I have seen..I mean WoW..some of you guys have me baffled. But ces la vie, and forgive the spam or wrong placed post. My mistake.Wasn't the intent, as we simply thought someone might be interest, and enjoy the opportunity.