Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: XaraX to Xara3D

This has probably been covered here before somewhere. But I don't know where to look or how I should search for it. My question is that I have made a drawing in Xara X and I want to import the shape into Xara 3D. Some of my Xara X files import fine into Xara 3D and I get the outline of the shape or image that I made in the Xara X file. But on a lot of my Xara X files I only get a square when I try to import into Xara 3D. How can I make it so that my image outline from Xara X will always import into Xara 3D? I am sure that someone here will have a simple answer for me. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

This has probably been covered here before somewhere. But I don't know where to look or how I should search for it. My question is that I have made a drawing in Xara X and I want to import the shape into Xara 3D. Some of my Xara X files import fine into Xara 3D and I get the outline of the shape or image that I made in the Xara X file. But on a lot of my Xara X files I only get a square when I try to import into Xara 3D. How can I make it so that my image outline from Xara X will always import into Xara 3D? I am sure that someone here will have a simple answer for me. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Bruce
    Artist For Hire

I think you will find that if your only getting a rectangle when your expecting a different shape, then it's probably a bitmap your trying to import. Xara3D can only import true vector shapes.

If this is'nt the problem then please let us know.

Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hello Egg
    Thanks for your reply. I thought that you might know the answer for me. It is not a bit map. It is a group of shapes that I have drawn in Xara X. Sometimes , I will get an outline of my shape when I import into Xara 3d. But on some of my other files it only sees a rectangle. ??
    I can not figure out why. I will have to try some different things. I don't know if I need to group all of the shapes or what ? Maybe I will check on some of your tutorials. Or I miaght have to attach one of the xar files here when I can.
    Bruce
    Artist For Hire

Bruce

I am just test-driving X3D myself, but I have found that if you have any kind of a background behind your shapes, you will only get a square or rectangle in X3D. This includes if you change the default color of the background in XaraX. Or at least that's what it looks like to me.

Arnold

Thanks Egg and Fossman
    This does not make sense to me but I found that the files that were importing the shapes correctly into Xara 3d were animation files. That is that I had used a new animation template. I took the file I wanted to use and I copied it and pasted it into a new animation file. There is no animation it is only one frame. But then I could import the shape I wanted into Xara 3D. I don't understand this unless I have got my templates screwed up somehow ? At least I got it to work. Is anyone else having this problem ?
    Bruce
    Artist For Hire

Bruce
    I never use animation files to import into Xara3D. Could you attach or email me the file that your having a problem with and I'll see if I can duplicate the problem.
    I've never had Arnolds problem either, as files import fine whatever the background.
    Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Bruce
    Thankyou for sending me the 2 files. I was getting the same problem as yourself in that the first file inported into Xara3D gave only a rectangle. It had me stumped for a while.

I eventually tracked down the problem to the layers gallery. If you open your original document you will see that there is a background layer set to visible. So when it's imported into Xara3D your getting the page imported, which is of course a rectangle!!!

Set the background layer to not visible / save / import into Xara3D and Woger Wamjet gets imported correctly.

Of course when you copied and pasted your image into an animated new page, you were'nt importing the page background and that's why it imported correctly. If you had imported it into another new ordinary Xara page it would have also imported correctly as well.

Egg

[This message was edited by Egg Bramhill on June 01, 2001 at 04:56.]
    Egg

I appreciate that you took the time to see what my problem was. I could not figure it out. I followed your suggestions and now the file works. I will have to try this on my other files. I am always learning something new here. Now I can make more animated 3D files in Xara 3d that I drew in Xara X like Roger Ramjet.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bruce
    Artist For Hire