There´s no standard. Stuart Little was made with a fresh made software created for model and rendering. Lord of The Rings (2T) also.
So the important is the model and the rendering.
Most of the forums have misleading posts. In fact many things are modeled in one program or two and rendered/put together in another. Strata forum is a example. Many modells are not made in Strata at all, but rendered with it. When I post I always say how I M&R because I believe this is honest to somebody initiating and looking for an app.
Once you are proficient with Rhino (an absolute wonder software) and are happy with C4D rendering engine, just get a good 3D conversion utility (I'm also looking for some) and that's all. Animation is another talk because of IK, paths, texturing, jiggles, deformers and plug-in effects and crossing platforms/software can be program oriented.

Curently I use:

Strata 3D Pro for M&R and animation.

Rhino 3.0 (I'm learning fast) for modeling and Flamingo for rendering. But taking the model to Strata works fine. Strata is very powerful in multitexturing and render and the new version is even better.

RealSoft 3D 4.5 for SDS modeling and Rendering.
Rhino in IGES format imports fine. RealSoft rendering engine is very powerful.

Xara X for generating textures and profiles.

Photoshop 5.02 for post production.

I've tried many apps like Ligthwave, Maya, 3DMAX and Cinema 4D to mention some. I believe that in modeling with NURBS Rhino it's the best. Cinema4D
and RealSoft SDS are superb (I wonder if they share the same code).

Poser 5 and 4 for storyboards and photolike layout.

I'm looking for a good texture painter and a good converter and that's all for me.

I've seen a french guy modeling with a completely "code enter" program like Virtual Reality and he did wonderfull animations and models. I've seen another doing whatever he wanted to in 3DMAX 2 and also a brilliant animator working with ligthwave. I've even seen a genius in Ligthwave taking animation lessons from a traditional animator who could not enter a character in the keyboard.The final animation produced was much better that the original. The model was the same but the keyman input made all the difference.

Concentrate on the model. Next improve the rendering. If it's good nobody cares where you've made it. Don't spend more money or time. Modeling is about SDS, NURBS, extrusions, revolves, sweeps,
sufaces and lines...in all apps. Software can be a drug.And marketing can make you an addict.

Emanuel Brito
www.homographicus.com