Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I would answer here to this question from Steve Newport :

"By the way, what classifies a flower as a "Rose" because recent threads have brought up all kinds of "Roses" that don't look like the stereotypical rose at all! Not that they don't look great, just never seen THAT kind of rose before."

This drawing illustrates what is characteristic of a wild rose. And the garden roses often are different in the fact that the parts 5 and 6 are changed to petals.
    Otherwise, the petals are not very important parts for botanical studies. The ratio between the other parts of the flower and the plant and their habit are much more important to separate one wild rose species from another.

In very old drawings sometimes several thousands years old, the part 3 (the "hypanthium" which will become the red hip later in the season) is the part which permits to identify a rose from any other flowers.

Here is a simple drawing using bevels, shadows, transparency, and the inner yellow parts are made with a blend.

Enjoy,
    ivan

Observe Nature, re-invent the Rose
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	strurose.png 
Views:	370 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	16372  

I would answer here to this question from Steve Newport :

"By the way, what classifies a flower as a "Rose" because recent threads have brought up all kinds of "Roses" that don't look like the stereotypical rose at all! Not that they don't look great, just never seen THAT kind of rose before."

This drawing illustrates what is characteristic of a wild rose. And the garden roses often are different in the fact that the parts 5 and 6 are changed to petals.
    Otherwise, the petals are not very important parts for botanical studies. The ratio between the other parts of the flower and the plant and their habit are much more important to separate one wild rose species from another.

In very old drawings sometimes several thousands years old, the part 3 (the "hypanthium" which will become the red hip later in the season) is the part which permits to identify a rose from any other flowers.

Here is a simple drawing using bevels, shadows, transparency, and the inner yellow parts are made with a blend.

Enjoy,
    ivan

Observe Nature, re-invent the Rose

Great illustration Ivan, and thanks for responding! I see the light now! By the way, can you eat #8 (The "Nuts")?

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

The 3 is often eaten and contains many Vitamine C, but the properties of the 8 are only newly known. They are too hard for the teeth but the inner substance contains an interesting anticholesterol oil.

Kind regards,
    ivan

Be a gourmet, re-invent the Rose.

Is that what is called Rose Hips Ivan?

Great illustration technique using bevels. You are so clever :-)

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Thanks Gary,

yes,the 3 is what becomes the "rose hip" after blooming time. As you know it is edible. But only a little problem: in your geographical area there is a very nice wild rose called Rosa stellata. This one produce thorny and hard hips which are not so tasty (they even have a relatively bad smell when you cut them).

Kind regards,
    ivan

Do love Nature surprises, re-invent the Rose.

ivan, I wish my old school biology textbooks had been illustrated this sumptuously! I'm sure I would've paid a lot more attention to the subject ... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Concerning #3, the rosehip - that's one of my favourite teas!
    I remember when I was a child people would still go out, in the late summer, to collect rosehip off the wild small roses (rosa canina?) growing profusely in that part of Germany; they made fruit jelly from them, or dried them for tea.

Regards,
    Britta
    "I'm mad but not bad"
    Regards,
    Britta

Many thanks Britta,

I would be very interested to see some rose hips here; they are a so nice ornament and most of them can be seen in winter!

Kindly,
    ivan

Be fruity, re-invent the Rose.