Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corvette SR2

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by g-bot:
    Was it harder to do the first version or 2nd? ...Do you use a reference? ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

G-Bot,

I wouldn't say one was harder than the other. I was disappointed the client asked for the changes, but I got over that once I got into the challenge this presented.
    I referred for the first rendition to some photos I'd taken of the SR2 at the Monterey Historic Races, under a rainbow-coloured canopy. Very nice, with colourful reflections and all that.

The client wanted a simpler image, meaning pure sunshine. The job then was to consider the sky and surroundings at high noon and render it in the surface of the car's bodywork, which is a multi-contoured, colour-tinted mirror. Following the laws of light and refraction is the way to go; there isn't much left to chance. This doesn't rule out spontaneity, it just means that whatever happens will be physically realistic, meaning proper perspective, shadow, lighting, etcetera.

Thanks and best regards

Kane

Both images are excellent but for a poster, your clients missed a great bet with number one. It is colorful and exciting and has a lot of energy, all of the things a poster for a car convention should have. (Why do they call the convention goers "enthusiasts"?)

Really lovely drawing and rendering. Bravo.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

<a href="http://www.xaraxone.com">
    The Xara Xone </a>

At first I had a preference for the second one as the form flowed really well. But if you view both images across the room (as you would a poster etc) the second one is certainly more dynamic and eyecatching in terms of colour. So I like them both for different reasons.

The second one is also very impressive in terms of the fact that you had to work out the highlights/reflections with an idea to a different kind of light/surroundings etc.

Both superbly done.

Regards

Su
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Both are really great. I agree with Gary, as a poster number one really stands out.
    Number 2 is the Corvette blue of that era so I can see why they liked that. Really glad you posted both images. wonderful job!
    Gives me much to look at as I am trying to learn reflections/shadows/highlights on cars.

tim

is my favorite. Its looser and more creative.

Almost "Andy Warholish".

I wonder if Andy would have used Xara if he was around today.

Great work, John.

(that's really cool Jens!!)

I love both images. I think the first one is a real attention getter. Makes your really study the image. The second one is beautifully shaded as well but as you say, kind of middle of the road but still gorgeous!!

WELCOME BACK!

Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

http://www.ramwolffsworld.com/
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---