Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: saving gif

I've created a logo with some objects(text) merged over a transparent background(I think)and I'd like to save the image as a gif with no background so that whatever I put it on the background will show through.So far it looks like I can save it as really poor compressed gif or merge all first which makes it look good but no transparent background.I'm just a beginner and occasional user.Is this possible in PI6?

Toad
    IP

I've created a logo with some objects(text) merged over a transparent background(I think)and I'd like to save the image as a gif with no background so that whatever I put it on the background will show through.So far it looks like I can save it as really poor compressed gif or merge all first which makes it look good but no transparent background.I'm just a beginner and occasional user.Is this possible in PI6?

Toad
    IP

hmmm, this hobbiest would suggest to select those objects you wish to be together with the selection tool, right click, select image optimizer, choose gif, click off dither and click on transparency...save as... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Though this is the method one would use in v7, if my memory serves me correctly, the same applies in v6 as well... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by gidgit on June 04, 2002 at 21:59.]
    IP

Because transparency questions come up again and again, I wrote two PI6 QuickTips on automatic and manual transparency created in the Image Optimizer. They are here

http://www.eastofthesun.com/pi6quicktips/quicktip21.htm

http://www.eastofthesun.com/pi6quicktips/quicktip22.htm

I'm not sure what you mean by your GIF being overcompressed -- you have have 256 colors in a GIF. If you really want to save it as a JPG, you can mimic transparency by specifying a color of image file for the background, but then the JPG wouldn't look good against any other background.

Stephanie's PhotoImpact Tutorials
    PhotoImpact 7 Class Information
    IP

Actually I'm not trying to optimize.I just want to save it as a gif.I thought I would click save as,enter the file type and click save,but the optimizer always opens and presents me with an unacceptable image that I can't seem to get control over.I've clicked every commamd except the magic one.PI help is excellent for the complicated stuff but the simple thing always elude me.Of course it doesn't help that I have no idea what I'm doing here. Thanks so much for your help.

toad
    IP

Here's the thing Toad...if ya wish to save the image with transp. bg, then you do so through clicking this feature through Save As > Gif > Options >the optimize window pops up and you click transparency....that said, this method saves the whole canvas as the image...which is really no help at all is it?

Sooo, if you simply use the selection tool, drag a box around those objects you wish to include, then while they are all highlighted with the dotted lines showing you they are actively selected, you right click, open up Image Optimizer, choose gif, select transparency, save as and voila... now only your objects are together saved, and not the whole canvas as well [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

This may sound like a lot, but really once you have tried it once or twice you will be laughing with glee at how easy it really is... at least we hope so... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    IP

Another solution would be to save the file as a png. That way it will use the alpha channel for the transparency.

Michael P. Gosnell
    http://gooseneckart.tripod.com
    IP