Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Shadow images

I've been messing about tonight and I came across an alternative method of producing an image.
    Basically I opened an image I'd previously produced, with the image ungrouped I applied a drop shadow. I then sellected all the colours in the colour gallery and deleted them. A few still remained and I deleted these by hand.
    This left only the shadows of the original shapes. It gives an entirely different image!
    (there are sections of the original drawing that overlapped and therefore the shadows did as well, but in the main I think this is an interesting effect.)

Egg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!!shadow_essex.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	7423  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I've been messing about tonight and I came across an alternative method of producing an image.
    Basically I opened an image I'd previously produced, with the image ungrouped I applied a drop shadow. I then sellected all the colours in the colour gallery and deleted them. A few still remained and I deleted these by hand.
    This left only the shadows of the original shapes. It gives an entirely different image!
    (there are sections of the original drawing that overlapped and therefore the shadows did as well, but in the main I think this is an interesting effect.)

Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Name:	!!shadow_essex_orig.gif 
Views:	384 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	8332  
    Egg

Winters where it\'s cold, summers where it\'s hot

Looks like the ghost ship

Dennis

<a href=http://www.djart.com>DJArt & Design</a>
    <a href=http://www.djart.com>DJArt & Design</a>

The behaviour of certain effects, such as shadows and bevels, is dependent on the objects to which they are applied. If a collection of objects has these effects applied then each object is treated independently and the shadows and bevels overlap, if the objects are grouped then Xara X tries to give the impression of the group being a single object by ensuring that the bevel and shadow effects do not overlap one another.
    This is a very important concept. In some future version fo Xara X transparency will behave like this and give the effect of what is called "Group transparency".

Mark Goodall
    Xara Ltd

Name:	Grouping.gif 
Views:	347 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	4587  

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Egg - I hope you don't mind but I experimented to see what your image would look like with some fog.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Name:	ghostshipegg.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	12906  

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> In some future version fo Xara X transparency will behave like this and give the effect of what is called "Group transparency". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or like they did in some past beta :-)

Eric. Cool effect. One question. After you delete all the colors in the Color Gallery, how do you get them back?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Rarely So Humble...

My very first reaction to this shadow ship was to think of the "Philadelphia Experiment" where the Navy supposedly teleported a ship.

OOPS - there it goes!!

Paul

Ross
    Love the fog effect. I'll have to put my anchor lights on now!. Gary, I only deleted the colours in the name gallery, I slipped up on that one. As I was only after the shadow effect it did'nt really matter as I did'nt want colours. Mark your only tantalising us now with "some future version of Xara". WHEN? I just thought the effect was unusual. For it to really function well you would have to ensure that shapes were not overlapped by othe shapes but butted up. You can see the incorrect effect where the lifeboat davit shows thru the lifeboat, the ventilators show thru the accomadation and the bridge front shows thru the hull.

Egg
    Egg