Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi

I'm really in a bit of a fix. A Client, who owns a recruitment company has asked would it be possible to add the following to her site:

1.Introduce a database drived job selection process (will need interfacing with companies' own database or creation of specific one for vacancies only)
    2. Introduction of a forms basses self assessment section for information gathering.

I really want to learn how to do this and I want to do the best job possible but I have not worked with databases before. Can anyone please help me - point me in the right direction as to what I need to do. They have told me that they have a MYSQL. I am starting to panic as I need to talk to them about this soon and I want to know what I am talking about. Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Hi

I'm really in a bit of a fix. A Client, who owns a recruitment company has asked would it be possible to add the following to her site:

1.Introduce a database drived job selection process (will need interfacing with companies' own database or creation of specific one for vacancies only)
    2. Introduction of a forms basses self assessment section for information gathering.

I really want to learn how to do this and I want to do the best job possible but I have not worked with databases before. Can anyone please help me - point me in the right direction as to what I need to do. They have told me that they have a MYSQL. I am starting to panic as I need to talk to them about this soon and I want to know what I am talking about. Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

That is possible. Mysql is probably the most common about backend designers...

Not sure how to help, you seem to be very general. Do you have specific questions? Learning how to master Mysql is going to take some time, if that is what you are wondering. This is no walk in the park...

Andrew Ku -->Editor In Chief
    Explosive Labs.com

Thanks for your reply. Just to be more specific, she is looking for three drop down lists, job area's, job spec, and location, with a keyword search also available. The user can do a search based on their selected criteria.

This selection, I logically guess, works on a database.

I know its not an easy or straight forward task to be able to do this with no current knowledge but if someone could suggest what it is I need to know in order to achieve the above. By this I mean do I need to swot up on Mysql and PHP or study something else?

Thanks again.

hi,
    Well to accomplish the task you are sbout to endeavor you would have to learn how MySql works as I would imagine you would have to build it from the ground up. Then you would have to learn the markup for Active server pages to launch the site.
    I done a site (free) for my sisters Antiques Collection not knowing any off the above. She had here Database done with Access 97! I upgraded to Dreamweaver UltrDev then to DreamweaverMX to accomplish the task. I spent a lot of time with here Database tho as she had no pictures so I had to wait till she sent pictures for me to insert and set up in Access.
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

I can add my 'yes' to the others.

Any of the readily available php books will help you. If you have done any programming before - eg in Access - then you won't find the leap too great. If you haven't, then it will take you some time.

Make sure you get the data structure right first. If you don't then you will end up with a lot of re-working.

It is easy enough to populate drop-downs.

Dreamweaver can help but it seems to generate a lot of code that you will have to understand. And out-of-the-box I don't think it will do enough for you.

You will also be straight into security issues - you don't want Fred to see or change Jane's details! This is done using cookies or else sessionids.

Good luck - I don't envy you.

www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Thanks for all your help, I guess there's a steep learning curve ahead http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Well, if you don't care about Dick and Jane reaking havoc on your database, it would be much easier. But since others will need access, you don't have that luxury of having a one person or team designated access system.

I would recommend grabbing a php coding book and a few pots of coffee (depending on your attention span) and well... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif read it... If you are in a time rush, there might be a way to lessen work. You would have to go to HotScripts.com and find a suitable program. Using a freeware system would be perferable, for financial reasons. You could then mod/hack it to your specs, which would require less work [in theory]. Or you can get a license to one of the software titles that require the $$$...

Andrew Ku -->Editor In Chief
    Explosive Labs.com