Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Stu--

You do beautiful work...work that I myself am not capable of doing.

And yet this nagging voice in my mind says, "Bouton, as moderator, if you are going to advance this group of people from where they are to where they want to be, we have to look towards what has *not* been done."

A lot of the members here secretly and openly wish to get adopted by an animation farm or do design work for LucasFilms, and believe me, this stuff happens in real life. No star is too high for you to lasso, begging pardon to "It's a Wonderful Life." <g>

But PIXAR and Pacific Data (which Dreamworks bought to instantly own an animation department do not want to see:
    •Space ships.
    •Aliens.
    •Girls who look like they need a D cup.
    •Monsters.
    •Landscapes out of Bryce version 1.

"Every picture tells a story". Technology is on a level playing field with those who can use it now. This leaves a lame portfolio *No where*, fellow modeling folks.

Invent a character, tell a story in one frame. Most importantly, our work is here for everyone to see on the Web. What better advertising and what better price?

Make your work *count*. Get into the production and writing end of CG as it's practiced today. I'm not saying you should stop practicing your craft; I'm saying a larger perspective will show you how to get properly prepared to get discovered.

My Best Wishes,

Gary David Bouton
    www.boutons.com
    Gary@GaryWorld.com
    Visit a really large gallery at www.GaryWorld.com!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Got_XARA.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	18840  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.

Stu--

You do beautiful work...work that I myself am not capable of doing.

And yet this nagging voice in my mind says, "Bouton, as moderator, if you are going to advance this group of people from where they are to where they want to be, we have to look towards what has *not* been done."

A lot of the members here secretly and openly wish to get adopted by an animation farm or do design work for LucasFilms, and believe me, this stuff happens in real life. No star is too high for you to lasso, begging pardon to "It's a Wonderful Life." <g>

But PIXAR and Pacific Data (which Dreamworks bought to instantly own an animation department do not want to see:
    •Space ships.
    •Aliens.
    •Girls who look like they need a D cup.
    •Monsters.
    •Landscapes out of Bryce version 1.

"Every picture tells a story". Technology is on a level playing field with those who can use it now. This leaves a lame portfolio *No where*, fellow modeling folks.

Invent a character, tell a story in one frame. Most importantly, our work is here for everyone to see on the Web. What better advertising and what better price?

Make your work *count*. Get into the production and writing end of CG as it's practiced today. I'm not saying you should stop practicing your craft; I'm saying a larger perspective will show you how to get properly prepared to get discovered.

My Best Wishes,

Gary David Bouton
    www.boutons.com
    Gary@GaryWorld.com
    Visit a really large gallery at www.GaryWorld.com!
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.

Ya your right there Gary.

Thanks for the kudos too.

I have just been modelling anything I can think of really [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] and I have found that sci fi is a bit more tricky due to the extra curves angles etc and it is a more an experiment in modelling than anything.My aim is to get very good at modelling and lighting and texturing.I dont think I have the modelling know how yet to create a face but eventually I will,my next projects are going to be nature oriented now that I have Bodypaint 3d and I am going to have a go at a waterfall.

Thanks for the direction Gary [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I would lke to eventually be picked up by a good 3d company

Also feel free to fire in any comments at all on any of my work [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Stu.