Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I've been searching for software creation software. Not something that's a service with a company for online shopping, but software to do this myself. Is this possible. I have no idea about the programming needed and was hoping a simple editor would be available. I've either found really bad simple ones made by some guy as a hobby or expensive things which I really can't afford.

Why is it that this subject is so hard to find good information on.

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com http://www.dkingdesign.com/stuff/signature.jpg

I've been searching for software creation software. Not something that's a service with a company for online shopping, but software to do this myself. Is this possible. I have no idea about the programming needed and was hoping a simple editor would be available. I've either found really bad simple ones made by some guy as a hobby or expensive things which I really can't afford.

Why is it that this subject is so hard to find good information on.

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com http://www.dkingdesign.com/stuff/signature.jpg

David,

everything is easy if you know how to do it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Sure you can program your own Shopping Cart or whole Store if you *know* how to program.
    If programming is not your middle name, you will be better off with ready packages that you should find in every software superstore.

If you are willing to get into programming or if you know somebody who will help you, a good way to do all kinds of web-programming is PHP / MySQL.
    You can start from scratch or use a ready script and modify it to your needs.

Check out hotscripts.com for example. You will see there are ready scripts for everything you could ever imagine.

Wolfgang

P.S.: Check with your provider if he supports PHP / MySQL first !!

DK, I would have to agree with WG on this one.
    I typed in shopping cart software through google and they range anywhere's form 299.00 straight upwards...
    I also typed in shopping cart scripts and there are pages of options, however you server must be equiped to handle perl 5, and/or php/My SQL...

So there ya have it...google surfn is in order...

Are you gonna sell all of your terrific worx?
    You'll be rich... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

David, I know exactly what you're going through. When I was looking for a small biz ecomm site 1 1/2 years ago, I wished for something like you describe.

Here's what I came up with:

1. Packaged sites hosted outside (like Yahoo stores, amazon store etc.)
    + : very simple to implement, known names
    - : not very customizable, no good outside US

2. Packaged software
    + : Highly customizable
    - : Very expensive, not viable for small biz

3. Build it yourself
    + : Highly customizable
    - : High learning curve

I went with #3 using CGI scripts from Extropia's web store (you can see the results here http://www.bluenoseclothing.com). It took me about 3 months to figure the whole thing out and put it online. My scripting experience is limited to futzing other's scripts. ie. no programming expert at all! It worked but when it's time to redo the site I'll go with http://interchange.redhat.com and that'd be my recommendation. Open source, highly customizable, good support and relatively easy to learn.

Good luck!

cfn ... Jen

cfn ... Jen
    Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com

not sure if this is what u want but here it is anyway, my partner and i use it for our webdesign service. we tend to offer our clients who need an e-commerce solution. we also offer onsite training in the use of the software. just a thought!

When fish flew and forests walked
    And fig grew upon thorn
    Some moment when the moon was blood, then surely I was born

G.K.Chesterton - The Donkey