Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Dear XARA team,

I have installed the XARA X 1.a (00-12-04) 16 times by now. Each time I have cleaned the Registry and run RegClean plus I rebootet the machine every time.

The problem: as soon as I modify the ' Options ', save a new template (640x 480) and make it the standard template, I run into big trouble when I work with text and get following message:

ERROR from XARA X
    An internal error has occured. Failed to read the requested Type 1 character outline.

Same message appears when I open an existing XARA 2.0 document. All character contract to one single character or don't display at all.

However, TTF fonts - handled by the Adobe Type Manager for Windows NT as well - display flawless.

And - extremely strange: when I start XARA 2.0 or CorelDraw or Freehand or a wordprocessor right after that error message, I don't have any problems with these applications. This shows me that somewhere in one of the XARA modules there is a bug.

No, I am NOT using unknown fonts, no font downloaded from the Internet, I am only using about 60 original Adobe Type 1 fonts.

As long as I leave the ' Options ' untouched, everything is ok.

Now what? Would be great to hear from you...null
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

There is a bug in the Adobe Type Manager Deluxe 4.1 for NT4 ( ATM 4.0 seems ok)) which returns faulty data for the space character on SOME machines for SOME fonts, its behaviour is almost random.
    We have a workaround for this problem on our internal builds.
    This fix will be in the final download/CD version which is a matter of days away.

The random behaviour of this problem made it very difficult to spot.

Mark Goodall
    Xara Ltd

I've already mentioned my solution to "Type 1 character outline" error problem in the "bug list continued" discussion in this forum.

And it was as follows:

It seems that you have to uninstall Adobe Type Manager before installing Xara to prevent the "Type 1 character outline" error. I had this problem when I first installed Corel Xara 2 and again just recent when I installed Xara X.

This solution will work with both Windows 98 and Windows NT4 versions.

So remove ATM then install Xara and then re-install ATM and all will be well with the world .... and you can open those documents again! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Reji
    The WheelBrat

----
    I started out with nothing & still have most of it left.
    ----
    /|================================================= |
    The O CONSULTANT | Reji Martin,
    Wheel /- TO THE | reji@isn.net
    Brat ( )\_ STAIRS! | PEI, Canada
    |================================================= |/
    ---- Checkout my carvings @
    http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...34527&a=216030
    ------ O
    ----- /-
    ---- ( )\\_
    The WheelBrat ~ Faisg air an Aird-a-Tuath, Canada

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Sorry, but I tried this trick as well - it used to work with XARA 2.0, but not with XARA X. As Mark posted, there will be a fix in the next (and possibly final) release.

Maybe I should install W2K Pro on my 'big' machine as well - would be easier than to mess around with Adobe Products. I've never been a friend of Adobe products and never will be - too arrogant company and totally Mac oriented. Exept for the fonts...

W2K Pro features the advantage of having an integrated font renderer - finally. And it works flawless.

ciao,
    jens g.r. benthien
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--