Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Spell Checker Not Wurcking

Chris, I think the clue lies in the Windows update. Run Xara as Admin. A library may need this.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

run admin was my first thought, but chris says he did this, in his OP

black magic is not going to solve it, but chocolate can sure help

Run as administrator

Open to suggestions, up to, and including, black magic and sacrificial blood-letting.
    Last edited by handrawn; 25 May 2024 at 02:36 PM. Reason: fix quote
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    run admin was my first thought, but chris says he did this, in his OP
    black magic is not going to solve it, but chocolate can sure help
    Missed it!

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

usually me that misses things - the older I get the more speed reading lets me down....
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Chris, following on from Matts post I've looked at my settings (Xara Designer Pro+) and screen-grabbed it (attached) and as you can see it's very different than yours. There was some issue with this but it was corrected in 23.5 for + versions. May be a hang up for your WD 19?
    Sorry Egg, I am running Designer Pro+. I've just updated my profile, which I should have done before, but I'm lazy.

Update wise. Windows is telling me there's nothing to do. Xara is v24.0 (May 2024).
    I reset the toolbars again, because that seems the most logical thing...no change.

Uninstall/reinstall is looking more and more attractive.

Uninstall/reinstall seems like your best route Chris.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Installed on top of existing install - no joy.
    Wheeled out Revo and uninstalled from Traced Programs. Rebooted PC. Installed fresh download from Xara. - no joy.
    Ran as Admin - no joy.

My Xara life is joyless. She is a cruel mistress.

Is there a dict file in your Xara installation Chris. Can't see why there shouldn't but worth a check. Do you still have the limited menu under the spell checker icon?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	241.8 KB 
ID:	134939  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

back in the day xara spell checker used hunspell libraries, I have no idea if that is still the case

but if it is, you may have a conflict with another program that uses them, eg open office
    Nothing lasts forever...

@Egg, yes I have a full directory of 100 files, including en_GB.aff and en_GB.dict

@handrawn, I use WPS Office. Not sure what they use as their base spell check, but they've just updated to AI spell check. As usual with a new toy, they've gone nuts with its 'look at me...me, me, me. I'm here, it's me. Admire me.'

After the fresh install, I was putting my personal settings back into place. I can't change the default template from A4 to Photo. I'm not particularly fussed about that, just wondered if it threw any light on the spelling thing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	134940