Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Microsoft Malicious Software Removel Tool

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    Attachment 133832

the link in acorn's post is not working for me so I do not know if he linked to same
    @handrawn, it was of the tool itself and its invocation:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-07-11 224128.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	133836

Sorry it went walkabout.

@Boy, it is probably not signed as it is delivered in a signed package. It probably also checks itself.

The bottom line is always update, knowing there are ever-vigilant developers more than happy to blow the whistle on MS.
    MS is aiming for a pure cloud-based operating system where you rent the OS, , performance, applications (Office 365) and space, a bit like Xara Plus products.
    In both cases, there is one one master instance. No downloads, no viruses, no choice...

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

it is probably not signed as it is delivered in a signed package. It probably also checks itself.
    indeed, which is getting into how things actually work, rather than what is said on the tin...

the number one rule is download only from a verified source
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Be afraid, be very afraid - https://arstechnica.com/security/202...kernel-access/

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

nice link, thanks

it would be shame if MS went down the apple route one way or another; the flexibility of windows is one of it's strong points, but therein lies risk

an issue of course is that a lot of users don't even appreciate the risks that exist, even with all their security tools active and uptodate; for most of us it may not be that big a risk, but that could once have been said about internet scam

I am not encouraged that it will get any better... apple is not immune
    Nothing lasts forever...

I always use the MRT.exe version that's in this location: C:\Windows\System32

So, to be honest, I never looked at the part that says publisher unknown.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

I do not think there is any need whatsoever to run the MRT manually; you achieve very little.
    If you allow Windows Update to install the latest then the MRT is run automatically.

If you want confirmation then look at C:\Windows\debug\mrt.log where you will see it will have run on all its invocations.

Acorn

afaik the mrt is only run the once at every update

as previously mentioned MS make clear this is not an AV program that gives protection across the board

it is a specific tool for specific threats that MS provide as a backstop

the MS AV is Microsoft Defender Anitivirus and you can run that from windows settings should you feel the need

However a third party AV may well take over the task, as ESET does on my desktop:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2023-07-14 16_24_57-Windows Security.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	133839

as it does for the firewall in my case
    Nothing lasts forever...