Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Re: How to create a seamless pattern from a seamless tile?

the simple way to see if your 2 in by 2 in works is to set your program nudge to 2 inches, clone the tile and then nudge the clone - do they line up - they do, but as keith said there is grey line visible which is a flaw in the tile fill - also, the tile must not have an outline yours do not so that is ok

I would be tempted to build up the pattern this way and then crop it to the size I wanted

if you are syncing it to an existing square, make sure the square is fill only and no outline, use the coordinate x/y values on the select tool info bar as reference, that way you may not even need to snap

if you resize the tile itself enter actual [identical] values for hight and width, do not rely on percentages etc
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I forgot to explain that I'm using the bitmap fill to create the pattern.
    This is what I did:

1- imported the base tile
    2- created a 20"x20" square (without outlines)
    3- select the square and applied the bitmap fill as a "repeating tile" and used CTRL + image handles to resize the tiles while keeping the same width and length ratio.

I didn't use the method of snapping many base tiles to create a larger square.

I would not do that - I would make a vector shape the same size as the base tile [ eg copy the base tile and then intersect it with a larger rectangle]

I would apply the base tile to this vector shape, no need to mess about resizing and risking inaccuracy

I would then build up the larger shape in the way I mentioned before...

EDIT - forgive me you do not need to do the intersect - just do it with the base tile; in xara there is no difference between a bitmap filled shape and a bitmap
    Nothing lasts forever...

like so - once you have done one row of horizontal base tiles, group it, then you can clone the row in one go and nudge down

repeat tile.xar
    Nothing lasts forever...

I took the 2" x 2" tile and snapped copies to it originally.

However, just adding the 2" x 2" tile to the drawing anywhere: Draw 8" x 8" square: Add fill: Change fill to the picture bitmap: Change to repeating: Adjust fill handles: I cannot make the fill not seamless whatever I do. Using Shift I can distort it. but it's still seamless.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Repeat Test 2.png 
Views:	338 
Size:	388.3 KB 
ID:	133440
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

certainly should work

I have an adversion to resizing fills unless there is no other [practical] choice, just me I guess; probably the animator in me baulks at resizing something 'on the hoof' - if it could be done by entering in absolute values numerically that might be different...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Ric, to create a seamless tile-fill, assuming the tile is correct, make a 10"x10" box.
    With that selected, in the Bitmap Gallery, right-click on the tile and pick Apply as fill.
    This make a single tile fill all the box.

Switch to the Fill tool and change to Repeating tile and then set the Bitmap resolution back to 96dpi (or whatever the original image's dpi is).
    Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    if it could be done by entering in absolute values numerically that might be different...
    You will now have 5x5 tiling in your box.

If you use @handrawn's method, select all the tiles, group them and make sure you have this set to render as a single image using Group web export.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Ric, to create a seamless tile-fill, assuming the tile is correct, make a 10"x10" box.
    With that selected, in the Bitmap Gallery, right-click on the tile and pick Apply as fill.
    This make a single tile fill all the box.

Switch to the Fill tool and change to Repeating tile and then set the Bitmap resolution back to 96dpi (or whatever the original image's dpi is).

You will now have 5x5 tiling in your box.

If you use @handrawn's method, select all the tiles, group them and make sure you have this set to render as a single image using Group web export.

Acorn
    yes you can also do it that way, but I am a simple soul, I might even want to break it apart again

and forgive me once again for not thinking like a website builder; good point about the group web export should that be the requirement...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    I took the 2" x 2" tile and snapped copies to it originally.

However, just adding the 2" x 2" tile to the drawing anywhere: Draw 8" x 8" square: Add fill: Change fill to the picture bitmap: Change to repeating: Adjust fill handles: I cannot make the fill not seamless whatever I do. Using Shift I can distort it. but it's still seamless.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Repeat Test 2.png 
Views:	338 
Size:	388.3 KB 
ID:	133440
    You have to hold the CTRL while you move the handles to keep the ratio.

Let me just say this: I know how to create a base tile without outlines and use it in a large square to create a pattern in Xara (bitmap fill + repeating pattern, resize the pattern inside the square if needed, etc.).

My question is about how to make the final square that's seamless too.

This image explains what I'm saying:
    https://ibb.co/fxyM1GM

I tried to multiply the base title of 4"x4" by 5. So I thought that a 20"x20" square would be an exact size to create a large square keeping the seamless aspect of the original tile.
    That didn't work.
    Last edited by Ric_NYC; 05 March 2023 at 10:47 PM.