Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should Be Easy

Default Re: Should Be Easy

@ Chris,

I cannot comment on Xara Plus, because I don't have it, but I tried a work-around to the v19 Scroll/Sticky bug: Take a look here: https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/scroll-menu/.

On each popup, I have used a javascript link to an anchor at the top of each page (the anchor is a thin rectangle). In the same link, I am forcing the popup to close using its internal reference.

As you scroll down through the 3 pages, the sticky hamburger moves vertically down each page (avoiding the sticky overlap issue); the same is true for each popup. Both appear to progressively move down each page - akin in some ways to a progress bar.

Your are welcome to have a look: Basic Scroll_Animated_Menu.xar

Unless the 3 pages are particularly long, is there is a reason the content could not be all one page? None of these issues come into play then?
    Gary
    www.initiostar.co.uk

Xara Designer Pro+ and Xara Designer Pro X 19.0.1.65946 DL x64 Feb 7 2023

@Initiostar:
    I thank you for your offer to share your solution to the problem. Xara is very versatile and, given knowledge, most things can be achieved. However, having a sticky menu on a scrollable site shouldn't require workarounds and home brew fixes. It isn't an obscure, one-off occurrence. I simply set out to do what we've all done many times before, a sticky menu.

Neither Magix nor Xara work in this case. They both fail to make a scrolling site that works in, what I would think, is a very basic manner. However, I am surprised that nobody else has asked about this before. The last 4 sites I've made have been scrolling ones. Two have no menu at all because they are short enough to not need one, one has non-sticky links dotted around to jump from one section to another. Then there's this one.

It was frustrating to set out 7 pages as I wanted them, create the content and then try to set the mechanics in place:
    Create a menu that appears smoothly
    Create links that go away when used
    Have the menu scroll with the page, so it's consistent
    Make the site scale to width
    Make the site scrollable

I spent hours, literally hours, trying to work out why something so basic failed. I naturally assumed it was something I had done and was very happy when you pointed out that Magix had a known bug. I had access to Pro+ and at first thought I was back on track, but no. Pro+ fails as well.

There is nothing so new that nobody knew of it. Both yourself and Acorn were aware of the failure, and the cause. I can only assume others are too.

There is a warning that pop-up layers cannot have animations applied. Why not have a warning that links won't work if they are sticky, repeating, set to close automatically, or whatever combination it is that makes them fail? It's a known issue after all.

@Chris,

You are entirely right to be disappointed at what is a simple task failure. It was not a bug I was aware of though, until I spent some time trying to find its cause(s). The scroll bug I was aware of related to using a vertical scroll function on a touch device, which I had thought was fixed in Xara Plus versions. I agree a work-around should definitely not be required. I would have thought too that others who use 'scroll' and a sticky repeating menu would have found this problem before.
    Gary
    www.initiostar.co.uk

Info Re: Should Be Easy

I too have bashed my gums against this.

I have documented two approaches as much as a record of the issues.

jQuery - animate Hamburger Menu.xar

I would love to spend time on this but I can do it more cleanly with CSS and possibly a hint of JS but I would only deliver such to a paying customer as I can accommodate changes. A TGer would necessarily have to have a high skillset that is quite far outside the Xara domain.

I've never really consider such for Scrolling Sites.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I too have bashed my gums against this.

I have documented two approaches as much as a record of the issues.

jQuery - animate Hamburger Menu.xar

I would love to spend time on this but I can do it more cleanly with CSS and possibly a hint of JS but I would only deliver such to a paying customer as I can accommodate changes. A TGer would necessarily have to have a high skillset that is quite far outside the Xara domain.

I've never really consider such for Scrolling Sites.

Acorn
    As far as I can tell the issues only occur for a multi-page site with Export set to Scroll with overlapping sticky objects. For small websites you could probably use a single page without any problems and scroll becomes irrelevant.

Anyway here is my work-around, courtesy of an old Acorn trick! https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/scroll-menu/. Not prefect I know
    Gary
    www.initiostar.co.uk