In my (unasked for) opinion, there isn't a shape shown in the tutorial that can't be done more quickly in AD 2. Reflexively, I upgraded, because I have money to burn (:)), seriously, because i like to keep up to date with new graphics technology. the best ad most fair thing I can offer is that if you get in on the ground floor with AD, with no knowledge of other vector programs, you'll soon become proficient as a designer, just learning in a unique way along a unique course specific to the program's features.

I STILL maintain that a major new feature for XD would be an editable polygon tool along the lines of what CorelDRAW has had for around a decade.

Create a polygon with n number of sides. Then modify any of its vertices to extend a path away or toward then center of the shape. Then if you want more "spokes", the transformations are non-destructive, and you can change, for example, 5 sides to twenty, or three.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polygon tool.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	133177

If it weren't for an unjustifiably high price tag, the deal-breaking subscription model, and the fact that Corel Corp. has had a venture capitol firm at its head for ages, and they screw over the end user like we don't matter, their tech would be prevailing today, rather than Illustrator, I venture.