Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
@boy

yes I can see very slight red - it is espcially clear in the affinity photo zoom because it is designed for photo editing in a way xara is not - both these screenshots are of the exact same file at the exact same pixel size

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara zoom in.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	230.8 KB 
ID:	132133Click image for larger version. 

Name:	afinity photo zoom in.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	132134

like I said this is artifact, it has nothing at all to do with the illusion, which is dependent on how the brain filters and decodes the colour frequencies it receives

so I was wrong to say there were not there in the affinity photo zoom, sorry... they are scant is all I can say in feeble excuse, and as far as I can tell only present near the green which would make sense as artifacts, the rest of the bars seem clear as day
How do you know it's just artifact?

I don't know how the effect of a red can has been created but I can imagine it has to do with the use of all these subtle color variation, the vertical bars and, as Gary suggests, the green color. However, I don't believe we see red only because our mind expects to see red because it's a Coke can (this aside from the fact that the brand also comes in silver and black cans).